Promise Acre: Our Journey

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. You as a buyer are happy, and the seller is happy. That makes me happy for y'all! :clap Sounds like you made a heck of a good purchase that is going to make life so much better for all of you! Of course there will be a lot of work involved, but isn't there always? And you folks are still "young" and have the time to make the place your own in every meaning. The kids can grow up with room and space, the animals will be able to breathe. I hope it works out great for you!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's crazyness. They really could have asked for more $... going land rate is 6k/acre. Now it's not prime land but definitely usable for hay and pastures. So even if you figure $5000/acre that's 100,000 for the land, and $20,000 for the buldings (asking is $120,000). The one pole barn is only 1 yr old, 54' x 42' perfect for storing DH's hay equipment, big enough to put a combine in.... the 3 car garage, which does need new doors and floor work but frame, siding looks really good, and the drive thru corn crib that's 28 x 80.... yes A LOT of work! The old farm house is plenty big enough, has a full basement and we can make it our own. oh and location is pretty good too. Very surpised we got on it quick enough... (made our offer when it'd been on the market for 10 days) but with the house needing work it presents a unique situation for financing. Which is our next hurdle since Mom's place hasn't officially sold/had an offer just yet. So may have to get an Ag loan. Anyways it's mind boggling that they didn't ask more, but am guessing since family didn't want the home anymore (the kids that inherited live out of state) they just wanted a quick sale.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anyways it's mind boggling that they didn't ask more, but am guessing since family didn't want the home anymore (the kids that inherited live out of state) they just wanted a quick sale.
Yep. Their desire to not futz around trying to get top dollar is your gain!! Sell it, be done with it, move on.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So inspections are getting done... :celebrate so far no major issues. Yes it has lead (it was built in 1917) and yes the water needs a bleach treatment. Today the septic is getting checked. Reality is setting in that this is VERY likely to happen. :weee Closing won't happen for a bit, as the owners are having the contents/equipment auctioned off Aug 29. but it's listed as "contigent" !
http://www.reindiana.com/homes-for-sale/539-N-1300-West-Medaryville-IN-47957-245909924

My friend brought her kids over to ride last week, just around our place. It was a good time. I was hoping to go trail riding with the girls today but too much other junk going on. We're "camping" at DH's aunts lake cabin this weekend.. so I guess I can't complain. Maybe I'll get some riding time in next week. 37420822_10214955418152001_3295565338644578304_n.jpg 37488763_10214955418952021_8883121008223977472_n (1).jpg
I got some weeding done last week.. weeds were so tall around my beans we had a litter of wild bunnies in there... they left over the weekend... yeah they were that old. :duc I am debating if it is worth finishing weeding... some have beans on the plants but most are pretty sickly looking.
Anyways need to go clean rabbit cages and get John's projects back to the extension office for state fair enteries.. get feed, go to the new house while they do the septic inspection and get the camper packed... oh and we have a friend coming for a sleepover with the girls. So... I really don't need to be hanging out on the computer today... have a great one.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
sure hope this all works out the way you want it. will be awesome for you, your kids and your mom.:fl