Promise Acre: Summer

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
State/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? NW Indiana, very rural community, we love it!
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status? Married in 2001 to my HS sweetheart after dating for 4 years, blessed with a 4 yr old son and a 8 mo old daughter
3. How would you define your farm? A hobby desiring to become more self sufficient
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed? camping, spending "down" time with family, working with my mini horses, riding, travel
5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to? We (by that I mean I assist my DH) took a large room off of our old house and put it back on, we did ALOT of stall building too. At our new place we have 1 small shed and 2 garages, so nothing for the critters and are currently building a 12 x 16 coop/feed shed. Next will be more shelters for mini horses and donkeys, maybe sheep?
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet? nope, leave that to the DH
7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer? I guess my Mom's half baked dreams, the one thing she allowed us to participate in was 4H. We showed every livestock except llamas and cattle. We raised sheep for a while, then got into horses and trail riding. I went to college got a BS in Ag Science. It's a part of me, this farming thing.
8 Is it a hobby or an occupation? hobby/something else for me to take care of b/c I'm a SAHM
9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more? I LOVE learning especially about critters. We're really excited to be able to produce our own veggies and hopefully our own meat in the future. I know way too much about horses, raisied and showed rabbits outside of 4H (we didn't eat them). I am in the process of getting some hair sheep, so very excited about that.
10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do? Gardening, raising chickens for meat and eggs, raising horned hair sheep and hoping to get some bunnies too.
11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply? absolutly
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world? Read, Bible study, hiking, just being outside
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi? I've driven tractors before
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? I have a sewing machine and enjoy sewing, have made Christmas stockings among other things.
15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? Yes, Well we currently have 3 mini donkeys, 3 mini horses, 9 chickens, 1 rooster
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood? nope
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? I love melons and pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? not recently, bait
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country? we own 4 acres 7 miles from town
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed? not sure what this means but I have a BS in Ag Science
21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? it was mini horses, but looking to raise something we can eat if we can't sell it....;)

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? this is good for me now.
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? heating
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals? my son likes riding, DH likes idea of our own meat
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs? I do now that i have the time, yes, no, yes
30. What was your best animal experience? Worst? best was probably riding my horse Kay for the first time, worst was losing a foal due to dystocia
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? my DH wants to hunt
32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm? I have taught myself to can and freeze veggies, experienced around lots of different critters
33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve? no
34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to? no, yes
35 What is on your to do list? travel
36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to? no, maybe
37. In what do you trust? God, my husband and myself
38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money? yes
39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits? Animals react because they are animals, unlike humans who will react because of who they are sometims not in a good way.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So we all survived the 4H fair. Exhausting but was a good time.
Last night we looked at a property.

House needs a TON of work.. gutted, rewired, middle sags a bit but the foundation is really good and DH says with proper footing the sagging is fixable. 20 acres, a big pole barn for storage built last yr) a garage, a couple small buildings and a big old grain bin that could be made into a horse barn/hay storage and ??? it's 80' long and an oldie that is SOLID and very well made. Need to get Mom on board, praying it "might" work. it'd be awesome to make it our own. Fields need work too but price is right so :fl oh and LOVE the neighbors... they're in our homeschool co op... very kind people. In fact they came over and grabbed the kids for a bit while we finished looking at the place.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would never, ever advocate monetizing one's parents. My point was that many times siblings swoop in to grab everything they can, and in this case, it will be the OP's home and farm. Without proper paperwork and documents, it has the ability to get ugly. I am not saying that it would get ugly, just that it could, so doing all the legalities beforehand would be the prudent thing to do.

I myself, cared for my elderly mother, and she lived with us. I am blessed with siblings who agreed with what ever I did. I kept them informed weekly and never did or made decisions without them. My brother pre-deceased my mother, so I then included my SIL. When Mom died, I divided up her estate as was in her trust and will. No squabbles, not even a mild disagreement.

Not everyone is so blessed. I hope that Promise Acres is blessed with good family and never has a cross word with her siblings. But get it in writing, legal, signed and notarized. Then my wish for her and her family is many years of enjoyment with her mother living next to them and they will be there for her should she need help and care.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My two cents......put it in YOUR name. If at some point your mom becomes incapacitated to where you cannot physically take care of her and she has to go in a nursing home, the state will attach her home. That means you are out of a place to live. Since your mom won't have the $6,000 a month to pay for her care, she would go on Medicaid. Medicare pays nothing beyond the first 30 days. The state is serious on recouping their costs and could take her home.

No one wants to go in a nursing home. But if she got Alzheimers, her mind could be gone while her body was still healthy and strong. That requires 24-7 care and ONE person cannot hold up to that level of care. Especially since it could last for years.

My advice-get with a GOOD lawyer, lay our your concerns and get it written up so that your home cannot be seized.

I think this could be a very good arrangement for both of you. You definitely need to cover all the bases so that you aren't hit with stupid high inheritance taxes, have to fight with siblings or duke it out with the state.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still busy... tonight will be my kid's last bb game.... I was a butt and we left practice early last night..just ridiculous when all they do is run bases....:he and they are teaching 5 kids at a time to field...how does that teach 9 kids to work together????? Found out last night there us a tournament...our game is Monday... again:smack unfortunately my kids won't be there. DH is out of town and I get to run a ag tractor practice...had I found out for sure about the tournament we could have changed this practice. But not now... ugh...
Monday DH cut 10 acres of very light hay...had some light showers come through so the rest of the 20+ acres will have to wait.
NCM_0246-1.JPG

Got a bunch of online junk to do for 4h...not sure the purpose...but hoping to make some cookies too. We will see if I getter done
Did get Xara rebred yesterday. Would really like to get Sweetie rebred too... but really super full on cages..:idunno need to get some bunnies sold. Winnie and Pad are getting kicked outside permanently today. They don' seem to mind the freedom. NCM_0250.JPG or company.
And just because I am super happy with our horse feed a picture of our shiney healthy horses.
NCM_0253.JPG

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Merry Christmas BYH friends. It's been a busy month. Kid's and are up waiting for DH to wake up this Christmas morn... so reminiscin over 2018. Have had so many answered prayers!

We have been so blessed this year! Bought our 20 acre farm and now making plans on getting it renovated. Lots of work ahead but this is a dream come true!!
Brought Daisy, the kid's horse in May. She's been absolutely perfect for our family. And this fall kids and I were able to get some trail riding in. :love
DS was baptized in October then this past Sunday DH was baptized and we became members of our church. Something I had desired for a long time. DH and I had a rough time this Spring and Summer...really questioned our marriage...despite 17 years together. All I know is God is good as we definitely can't make things work on our own. :celebrate
My favorite bunny breed Velveteen lops is on its way to being a real breed as they passed at National convention in November, so 2 more passes! ! :clap
There have been hard things....feels like everyone is moving away...both our Pastors, then my big sis is moving next week to Tennessee and my Dad is making plans to move up to the Michigan UP next year...:hit but God is good. Time to open presents!