Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Didn't get much on the house done this weekend. But we did work on another area to be prepped for more hay this fall. Just picked up limbs and such. And also trimmed a couple of trees up so the tractors and wagons and get closer. Amazing how much less weeds are where we've been mowing it.
We started school today, girls were done by 11. DS just got his math done... ugh it's all review at this point and shouldn't take 3,4 hours.
Our 19th Anniversary is coming up... DH and I are trying to figure out plans. He's willing to do whatever but at the same time, is happy with just a date night. I was hoping to go camping or something but that weekend isn't going to work. Debating on if we go here in a couple of weeks instead. With covid I feel like an outdoor activity would be best... last year we went trail riding but he didn't enjoy it much. Maybe we should just work on the farmhouse...
backcorner.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
On the day of our 19th anniversary, we loaded up and moved to our farm. We unloaded the next day. It was a pretty good anniversary.

I like the work on the house anniversary idea. A great gift would be to complete a bedroom. Have a date night because you two deserve it. Have y’all spent a night in the farm house?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's a couple of photos of the house. kinzeysroomplasterremoval.jpg
Johnremovingplstr.jpgWe got a respirator so John our son can help. He thinks it fun... :p

Girls on the ponies. Kinzey on Babe our "borrowed" pony, a real sweetie.
Kinzeyonbabe.jpg And Jocelyn riding Lightning. Her first solo ride. He's doing great on the ground but very hesitant with a rider, has a great whoa... is comfortable in the round pen. So after her lesson on Richie she ground worked him then I rode then we let her ride. Jocelynonlightning.jpgThey worked on joining up... he follows her all over, I've not seen anything like it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's great progress on the plaster "smashing", they look good. That's what's in store for the 2 bedrooms upstairs in my house. Walls look to be in pretty good shape but wall paper peeling off.... but the ceilings are coming down... Sure wish I had some "littleler ones" who thought destruction was fun..... Of course, they couldn't reach them....o_O:lol::idunno:idunno:hu:hu:tongue Oh well.....So glad that the lessons are going well too.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Amazing how much less weeds are where we've been mowing it.

Many years ago an old gentleman told me the best thing I could do for my pastures was to cut them. I have found this to be true.
Sometimes I fight myself as I think about all the feed I'm cutting 🤪 but in the end, it helps kill out bad weeds and improve grass. Soon I won't cut them, to allow extra growth for fall grazing....and will then have a tighter rotation set up.

I also love that my goats-- who will eat grass -- prefer to eat all the rougher stuff the horses want to leave, before the grass. It works well to control any "takeover", yet feeds both groups with less competition. They also trim trees and vines, a real work crew :lol: since I don't use chemicals, their eating preferences works well.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see progress being made!! Are you leaving the lath work up or taking it down too? Do you need to rewire the house? Now is the perfect time to do so. Most old houses were not wired for today's electrical gadgets. Wow! Get a few rooms done, then MOVE!

A girl and her pony. That is a bond she will have forever, even in her memory when her steed is gone. That is wonderful, I love it. I know it makes you a proud Momma of both of them!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
What could be more fun to a kid than give them permission to totally tear things apart? :D I bet he's loving this part.

Looks like things are happening. No doubt not fast enough for you. It's pretty daunting -- the whole house. Looking good.

Latest posts