Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
so after seeing the properties with DH am dreaming of the 25 acres.... smaller house but newer... has trails through woods...one corner of the property touches the local state park.... it also has a couple horse fences and a 20 x 60 barn... dreaming about my morning coffee on the front porch... praying it all works out... My Mom renewed her agent contract for 6 months then is probably going to auction it off if she doesn't get any reasonable offers before then. Josh and I were going over what needs fixed on our house and have a plan for a hay shed. We're going to replace our current one using our steel siding we already have, it will be bigger but in the same spot. Everything we are planning will benefit us even if things don't work out. Until we figure out a living space for Mom we won't put ours on the market.
fccffe1a-34d5-46cd-a7e8-5984fb50bea7.jpg
9f79a4ac-ec80-4376-a49d-358eb08c8b52.jpg

36a1cebe-2e63-4f11-b1bf-6bad437e7db7.jpg

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My two cents......put it in YOUR name. If at some point your mom becomes incapacitated to where you cannot physically take care of her and she has to go in a nursing home, the state will attach her home. That means you are out of a place to live. Since your mom won't have the $6,000 a month to pay for her care, she would go on Medicaid. Medicare pays nothing beyond the first 30 days. The state is serious on recouping their costs and could take her home.

No one wants to go in a nursing home. But if she got Alzheimers, her mind could be gone while her body was still healthy and strong. That requires 24-7 care and ONE person cannot hold up to that level of care. Especially since it could last for years.

My advice-get with a GOOD lawyer, lay our your concerns and get it written up so that your home cannot be seized.

I think this could be a very good arrangement for both of you. You definitely need to cover all the bases so that you aren't hit with stupid high inheritance taxes, have to fight with siblings or duke it out with the state.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing about is, it is livable now and changes or upgrades can come a little later....but, the chunk of land makes up the difference for any inconviences that may be suffered....it does look like a good initial setup to work with too....:)
It sure does bring back some memories seeing that N Indiana land and its characteristics.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
A garden tub to one may be different to another. My dad ripped out an old tub once upon a time and my sister and I played in it in the yard. Filled it with the hose and waited for the sun to warm it up some, then could just drain it when done. My idea is a horse trough situated in the garden, but that may be too redneck. My mom has an old one she uses as her burn barrel.

Latest posts