Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
fieldprep2020.jpg
fieldprep2020a.jpg

here's the field... photos of the house won't show much. nothing new unless you want to see the cheap wood floor that was in the living room. :idunno but local farmers are making fast work of the planting so should some changes should be coming soon.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our old house was like that. It was what we could afford and we were young enough to have plenty of elbow grease to accomplish it on a minuscule budget. We cleaned the inside of the house out with scoop shovels and wheelbarrows if that gives you an idea. The bones were good though.
Dh replaced the roof, siding, plumbing, electrical, and windows. We moved walls around inside, re-drywalled, and tiled the floor throughout eventually. We were also living in it at the time which slows things down. The outside property was equally horrific. I don't want to do that ever again, but it paid off well for us. Twenty years of sweat equity bought this place free and clear.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got the 2 acres planted, a grass forage mix and some red clover. Our seed drill wasn't working so we hoofed it.... DH did the grass and I did the clover.
plantinghay.jpg
ducks.jpg
Kid's were on pick up duty. DH also took several pieces of equipment over to the farm, cleaning up the small pen I call my arena (it's hard to call it an arena when there's equipment everywhere) So we have a nicer area to ride in. Still several things to move but have about 1/2 done. I want to set up some "obstacles" for the kids to walk and ride through with the horses. It was 3 days of nonstop movement until dark.
I had a grocery pick up scheduled yesterday, which included some quick meal options... but when I picked up I found out they didn't have several items, mostly those quick meal options. What the HECK! I ordered it 4 days in advance! So last night after we finished I had to run after fast food.. our DQ has a family meal so it was hot and included some ice cream. And I'm still going to have to go to find more groceries this week. I guess I won't be doing the pick ups for awhile. Extremely frustrating. :he

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of work hand seeding a field! Good to see your kiddos out there working with you. :love

An obstacle course sounds like fun. You can change up the skills and interest by making it a sort of game. Hope you get a little time to catch your breath, but sounds like you guys are really accomplishing a lot.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s great to have the field planted. I have sown by hand every grass seed on this place. It’s not so bad. When it comes up, you will be so proud. We have a great stand of white clover and crimson clover. The horses are grazing the yard right now. They are seeding the pipeline. LOL They graze the yard, then poop on the pipeline. LOL We even use the yard as pasture.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our seed drill wasn't working so we hoofed it.... DH did the grass and I did the clover.
That is a lot of walking!

I guess I won't be doing the pick ups for awhile. Extremely frustrating. :he
Yep. No idea what they have, what they will substitute for things they don't have ... even if you tell them not to.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH said the hay field is growing well. :bunny
I did get on the trails finally on Thursday this week. A lovely ride with a friend who graciously hauled me and Richie out to the trail since my trailer needs a new floor.
trailridekassi.jpg

richietrails.jpg

Friday I put in 4 nest boxes for some does who haven't co operated so far this year. Hoping for some kits come Monday. I also had a tooth pulled Friday. So recovering from that.

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
hayfield.jpg
the hay is growing!
over the weekend we removed a bunch more fencing at the farm as our tree removal guy had time this week to work on it.
fenceremoval.jpg
fjocelyn.jpg
fenceremoval.jpg2.jpg
ftreeremoval.jpg

IMG_3249.JPGIMG_3250.JPG
Our asparagus has gone crazy, we're eating some every few days.
asparagus.jpg

This last photo is my 5 year old walking my haflinger, love that guy,even with the temptation of grass he listened to her and walked. IMG_3222.JPG The friend I went trail riding with came over and gave the kids some "lessons", my daughter Jocelyn will be in 4H and she's wanting to show the horses. So having them listen to someone else with a bit more show knowledge is good. Planning on weekly lessons.
halterlesson.jpg
Ok there, I think that's it for the last few days...

Last edited: