Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think animals are relieved when they get some consideration that they aren't machines. A little kindness and gentle leadership go a long way to establishing trust.
I sure hope so. He's very like a puppy on the ground. And my 50# daughter can lead and lunge him. He is very responsive and kind. But riding he is very hesitant to go forward....will stand or back up. He loved it when I let him follow behind John on Daisy. And he was more comfortable in the round pen than the larger pen by himself. So glad we were able to get that.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if his hesitancy to move forward when mounted could be kissing spine? The only good diagnostic is Xrays.
hopefully not, doesn't take much encouragement and he moved right along behind Daisy when we rode together and in the round pen. So am thinking it's more of a lack of confidence and anticipation of pain. :fl

We had a nice break at the lake this weekend. Though I'm feeling exhausted... didn't sleep well while there... Saturday night John was up... sore back...needed a tissue....was acting like a toddler.... and Jocelyn snored. UGH I'm not used to kids not sleeping well. And in the camper... we'll if one isn't sleeping then none are. Except Jocelyn.. she says her ears close at night. :p
Am needing some more lids for canning our veggies... seems like the prices have gotten stupids, like more than $1/lid... :hehoping that maybe our local AceHardware has some.. they list them at $4/dozen.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good news, DH reminded me that we "inherited" his Grandpa's canning supplies, I now have enough lids for a couple of years. :bunny
Getting some bunnies sold, very happy to have some VL to sell this year. They're looking great. The bunny jerky turned out good, though a bit overdone... oh well. well do less time next time.
Need to get moving, bunny cages need cleaned.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Time and kindness will win your pony's heart.

We have a 32 year old Tennessee Walker mare that we bought when she was 12 years old. I don't know what was done to that horse, but it took a long time to gain her trust-as much as she is able to give. She has never connected with me, the only horse I have ever had that is so distant. She must have been terribly abused to have such a broken trust. She never approached me wanting attention and was hard to catch. So imagine my surprise when one evening while I was brushing another horse, she lightly brushed her muzzle against my arm! The merest whisper of a touch, but she was asking to be brushed! So like the good horse servant I am, I happily brushed her for about an hour. It took TWELVE YEARS for her to do that. I have always promised her that no one will ever hurt her again and I have made good on my promise. She has heaves and has been retired for 5 years. She can hang out, eat and be safe for the rest of her life.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been busy canning this week. Corn and green beans.
today Jocelyn and I went riding. Brought along Lightning. It was a nice ride.
423E7FB7-C76C-4E9A-BDB1-BE2DE0972405.jpeg
A5170782-6C5D-4E10-B4FB-7B38F5218588.jpeg

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule you are too kind. My kids say I yell too much...and if you notice only one wants to ride with me. I hope Kinzey will once we take a pony for her, no more double riding.
Btw Richie's hooves are doing great and he was extra awesome ponying Lightning.
I was thinking that you're an awesome grandma, taking the grandkids any time and showing them farm life.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I miss my grand kids and if I had my way, they would live next door. Your kids might not realize it right now, but you are giving them a wonderful gift. Keep up the good work Mom! Glad that Ritchie's hooves are better. That Hoofmaker is wonderful stuff, plus the DE, will grow them out strong and healthy.