Promise Acre: Our Journey

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting equipment out of the weather is always a good thing. Y’all are making progress.

Planning out what y’all are going to do to the house, moving walls? Drywall? Paint? Floors? Be sure to take before, during and after pictures!
Possibly moving walls, kitchen door will be changed back to a previous configuration, getting down to studs, then rewiring and new plumbing, drywall. Some new posts in the basement where they changed things over the years and didn't do good job restructuring. Hoping most of the floors will just need stripped, not replaced.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
@promiseacres , I have just finished your journal up to date. I have to say I think you are amazing. You are so patient and forgiving and have stayed so positive through all of these ups and downs.

I can relate to you on many things, I homeschooled my two boys (33 and 29) from K-12, lived in a major "remodel" project
( before we could move in we cleaned the inside with wheel barrows and scoop shovels, not to mention three of the biggest roll off dumpsters you could rent) and I also have a burning passion for horses.
I love how your kiddos are becoming good horsemen. What a wonderful life you are giving them.

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been busy this month doing family stuff and being sick. But everyone seems pretty healthy for Christmas. :cool:
AF89B522-4FD0-44DF-A82C-51777D3F6D0F.jpeg

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Christmas is done...just the mess is left. Mom is slowly getting things out of the farmhouse. We finally moved in a fridge (neighbors gave it to us) just need to get it back together, had to remove the doors to get it inside. It will be nice to keep a bit of food over at the farm for meals between working. Heck it's nicer than the one I have now.
My Mom didn't even take time to come watch the kids open their gifts...just gave to us after church. I have been having her come help feed her mare...she's low man on the totem pole so her gelding eats his and hers....so have to separate them. But had issues with her new husband...he repeatedly hit DHs horse in the head... why they don't get an halter to move their mare....ugh.... any ways I have gone back to doing chores by myself. Not sure if I will have her come back over... one less horse would be really nice but so far Mom doesn't agree... contemplated selling DH's but hate to sell a broke one at this time. But space and hay are definitely overextended.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
That reminds me when an uncle and I had my bird dog out after some quail when I was in High School. The dog flushed a covey of birds and my uncle peppered the dogs butt with bird shot. He was far enough away that it didn't penetrate but I know it hurt like heck. Before I could even think about and since he was about as far away from me as the dog was from him, I raised my gun and shot him in the butt. We never went hunting together again.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wait, you mean your moms husband has been hitting your husbands horse in the head?? What's that all about? That would make me furious.
Usually try to time chores so I feed ours at the same time...well Christmas eve we were running behind and so they went out to separate the mare. They want to just open the gate and only theirs come through.... DH saw it out the window. DH told my Mom it wouldn't happen again. I told Mom we would keep these two... but it's definitely not going well. Just headache after headache. She made the down payment on the farm and continues to help make payments...though her name is no longer on it. Praying we can start on the house soon... as soon as we can sell our place we can cut the strings.