Promise Acre: Our Journey

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That reminds me when an uncle and I had my bird dog out after some quail when I was in High School. The dog flushed a covey of birds and my uncle peppered the dogs butt with bird shot. He was far enough away that it didn't penetrate but I know it hurt like heck. Before I could even think about and since he was about as far away from me as the dog was from him, I raised my gun and shot him in the butt. We never went hunting together again.
I can picture you doing that. :thumbsup

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Usually try to time chores so I feed ours at the same time...well Christmas eve we were running behind and so they went out to separate the mare. They want to just open the gate and only theirs come through.... DH saw it out the window. DH told my Mom it wouldn't happen again. I told Mom we would keep these two... but it's definitely not going well. Just headache after headache. She made the down payment on the farm and continues to help make payments...though her name is no longer on it. Praying we can start on the house soon... as soon as we can sell our place we can cut the strings.
I can see that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hope you can get the farm house fixed up enough to move in it and sell your house soon. Then I would tell Mom to come get her horse or take it to the sale barn.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Exhausted... had to move Mom's mare to her own pen. Two days ago I put in my horse with the herd for the shelter and she was being a b**** to him. Of course she wouldn't let me near her and it's knee (or deeper) muck to walk in. :mad: At least I was able to move her without catching her with our pen set up. I hate she doesn't have a shelter but not much I can do. At least the kids can go in with the herd and I won't worry about them. They may get stuck in the mud... but the other horses aren't going to be stupid around them. Last night during feeding I had to stand with Richie (my horse) to keep her away... I know it's herd thing that the one on the low end of the totem pole will try to assert over a "newcomer" (he's been in with them before) but ack! I'm over it. Too many horses! Too much mud!
We did get a couple more small things done at the farm this weekend. The fridge our neighbors gave us needed it's doors put back on as we had to remove them to get it through the doors, it's working great. We moved another carpet out to the dumpster. Discovered the upstairs toliet was leaking... via the kitchen ceiling tiles falling... so got it's water supply cut off. We haven't been using it anyways. The downstairs is in usable condition and right in the area of the toliet is where the roof was leaking so the whole upstairs bathroom has been off limits. Hoping all the leaks are fixed but any new signs we know there's something in the window, wall or roof. Was hoping to get some more done next weekend but DH joined the local "tractor" club. It's a group that puts called "Power of the Past" and they have a 4 day festival of old tractors and flea market and also a toy sale. The toy sale is next weekend. Oh well he has been wanting to join it for a while and helping as a non member...
No bunnies yet but hopeful as got a couple bred last week. Will be palapating end of this week. I need to get the girl's school started.. sigh.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you need to rip out all the old plumbing and install Pex plumbing. At our old house, an old galvanized pipe burst in the ceiling and flooded the house. I came home to water running out the front door, down the sidewalk to the gutter. I ran to cut off the water, then surveyed the damage. The ceiling was caved in, in a couple of rooms, things were floating, but what got me was seeing a doll I made for my then 4 year old daughter (she was in college when this happened) soaked, underwater and a sodden mess. I lost it. I called my husband, boo-hooing and he flipped out because I seldom cry. Upshot was we were 3 weeks with no water, had the whole house replumbed and life went on. It could have been so much worse.

Before you go to painting, fixing walls and the like, rip out the old plumbing (and wiring too) replace, then fix walls. Coming from the voice of experience......

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about that knee deep muck. That's the worst part of spring here is the mess the horses have to deal with. At least their shelters are dry. Good for you for taking that witchy mare out of the herd. She'll just have to deal with no shelter. You have to stand up for your horse and make sure your kids are safe with the rest..

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like it is time for moms horses to go. If she is not even coming to help take care of them, being too involved with the new husband, then it seems to my way of thinking that she doesn't care near as much as she used to about the horses anymore anyway. Plus, if she wanted them that much, there is no reason why she couldn't have figured out a way to have them at her place by now (don't they have at least an acre or so where she moved to) or at the very least, have managed to arrange for a shelter area for her horse(s) (aren't there at least 2 that are hers?) so that you were not having to do all the work and feed all the feed. I have cattle in our operation, and I try to do work all through the year to help "pay for their upkeep". I do 90% of the work at the one pasture where I have my nurse cows, but there are about one third of the total numbers that are my son's since we calve the first calf heifers there. I just bought the protein tubs for there and I do the feeding of the grain there and "his calves" get in to eat it just like mine do. I also pay for some of the pasture rents or make other monetary contributions.
Since my son's broken hip/leg, I have been doing all his chickens at his house as well. Granted, once I have my ankle replaced and the other bones fused, he will have to do my stuff, but I only have one pen of chickens at this time and to feed the cats outside. So turn around is fair play.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Talked to Mom about her problem horse... she finally conceded that it was time to think about taking her to an auction... I hate that but am relieved. It will probably take her awhile to make good on it but I will hold her to it. She says she doesn't want to interrupt our day if she comes over to work the horse. Plus it's a rough time of year, she always gets depressed due to no sun....it's always something with her. All summer to hot, now it's too cold. You don't need two horses if you have all those issues.... :oops: her gelding needs some ground work but is a lazy easy to get along with guy and broke. So I can handle him staying. And he gets along with the other horses.
So kids and I have challenged ourselves to work with/spend quality time at least once a week with our horses. Hoping we can do it today... we'll see. DS is having issues with braces, dd1 has speech and IEP mtg...plus started kindergarten with dd2 last week. Doesn't take much time and she loves it but one more thing.

Latest posts