Promise Acres Rabbit Thread

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Yay!!! I will have to live vicariously through your kindling as your are as close to my Frenchies as anyone has on here (that I know of)LOL ! I LOVE velveteens. Do you eat the meat of the ones you cull? Just curious how much you get off of them. I know Frenchies were very grissly and fatty from what I was told.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yay!!! I will have to live vicariously through your kindling as your are as close to my Frenchies as anyone has on here (that I know of)LOL ! I LOVE velveteens. Do you eat the meat of the ones you cull? Just curious how much you get off of them. I know Frenchies were very grissly and fatty from what I was told.
Actually haven't eaten them myself. But @Pearce Pastures has... I do need to get set up to do my own butchering.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
This Fall/Winter season has not been my best. I have fought bronchitis since Halloween. I was out on a z-pac in November. In December my doc thought I needed Singulair.
This week still fighting this, was dx'd with walking pneumonia and put on antibiotics and steroids. I tore an abdominal muscle coughing so much and have to take vicodin and cough using a pillow held to my stomach.

Enough abt my hard season. I lost a doe that was only abt 2 yrs old. Almost in a 36 hour period of noticing her and wondering what step to take, she died overnight.

I replaced her with a 10 week doe out of her last litter from the meat pen. Translation: No litters from her for at least 14 more weeks.

Her breeding cycle partner lost a litter on the mesh during the night.

My other 2 does that are on the same schedule were due to be bred and would have been due mid January. So, I held off.

The other day I bred the three does and will be placing nest boxes around Valentines Day.

When the new doe is mature enough, she will get in on the cycle of one of these 3 and I will have 4 again breeding back to back having litters abt every 5 weeks. I wean at 5 weeks and give the doe a few days alone before rebreeding. It has worked to be a good schedule, and we eat as much as we want, make sausage and summer sausage, and sell a few along the way.

I am praying for a good Spring. Even with the bad season, God has been good!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you have been under the weather @Pastor Dave- hope you start feeling better soon! Walking pneumonia is not fun...a couple years ago my DD and oldest DS both had it within weeks of each other, youngest DS never got it thankfully!

Sorry to hear that you lost one of your rabbits and the litter from the other. We are struggling with getting rabbits re-bred right now- thinking we have 1 French Angora rebred, still trying with the others.

Looking forward to Spring!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was day 32, pretty much decided no kits again after none found this am. Was thinking of who to try with who again. But at 3 I went out to clean cages. And Miss Twilight has 8 wigglers! :weee
NCM_1899.JPG

perfect number! :celebrate
Palapated Holly and Xara, pretty sure Xara is bred and hopeful on Holly. :fl Xara has a huge belly already....
will be rebreeding Elsa, Celestia and also Padame. Sunday or Monday.

Last edited:

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh my goodness!! How sweet. Already got some nice ears. Congrats and good luck!!