Promise Acres Rabbit Thread

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have kits! Holly had 6 this afternoon.
3 blacks, 1 REW, 2 torts or sable points?!!
NCM_2170.JPG
:weee:weee:weee

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Grats! It's about time aye? ;) :fl there are no after birth issues.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, still not going to say 100% sure. BUT am leaning towards the 2 bluish kits as being siamese sables! Why?
1. They began pink 2. Sire is a siamese sable, known genotype is aa B- Ccchlc D-Ee , dam is a lilac aabbCcddE-
Sire has yet to produce any dilute kits, even when bred to dd does. These make 21 kits from sire. 3. They have a silvery tinge.
A few more days and I will know for sure. I totally forgot ss can look blue at first. The 3rd option is lilac but really don't feel sire carries both d and b .
NCM_2195.JPG
NCM_2200.JPG
NCM_2199.JPG
They are 6 days old! Will be rebreeding Xara and Elsa Monday I guess. Unless they suprise me am doubtful of kits. But I did get this last litter out of George!

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sure you have your own strategy and management practices for breeding, but I will give you some techniques I use, ok?

First, I make sure my breeders (bucks included) get a tsp of Calf Manna each day. Added protein!

Sometimes if you have a spare cage beside either the doe or buck, I will put one and being in close proximity to the other, they will get in the mood.

If the female won't lift for him, I will gently get under abdomen with a gloved hand, and raise her pelvis for him. Gloved hand with long sleeve shirt to avoid getting scratched or bit.

Wait at least a half hour and look for buck to have 3 fall offs. The doe may urinate if going back to her cage too soon. She normally won't be comfortable enough in buck's cage. Wait half hour to hour before putting back in her cage.

Repeat process in 8 hours. First round can cause doe to go in heat and be receptive 8 hours later.

If that doesn't work, and buck is throwing litters with other does, 3 strikes rule on doe not having litters.

Hope this helps some.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sure you have your own strategy and management practices for breeding, but I will give you some techniques I use, ok?

First, I make sure my breeders (bucks included) get a tsp of Calf Manna each day. Added protein!

Sometimes if you have a spare cage beside either the doe or buck, I will put one and being in close proximity to the other, they will get in the mood.

If the female won't lift for him, I will gently get under abdomen with a gloved hand, and raise her pelvis for him. Gloved hand with long sleeve shirt to avoid getting scratched or bit.

Wait at least a half hour and look for buck to have 3 fall offs. The doe may urinate if going back to her cage too soon. She normally won't be comfortable enough in buck's cage. Wait half hour to hour before putting back in her cage.

Repeat process in 8 hours. First round can cause doe to go in heat and be receptive 8 hours later.

If that doesn't work, and buck is throwing litters with other does, 3 strikes rule on doe not having litters.

Hope this helps some.
Dave- have found that this breed isn't as as easy to get litters as my original doe. Rarely will does stand or lift to be bred. I hold them 100% of the time. Also some definitely are not as fast maturing, had a buck who didn't even want to breed until 10 months. Other breeders have stated they get 1 litter per doe per year... :he my thoughts are they are somewhat seasonal, so attempting to get as many litters now instead of trying later this year. Also ear length is affected by the cold. So no more winter litters. I haven't tried the calf manna, but they get greens, acv, and BOSS.... :hide frustrating yes, but it is what it is. Should of kept another doe from my first doe... I was somewhat worried about her carrying split penis....but not sure now. Now that I have seen 1 buck not finish maturing until 10 months. As the my line gets there physically I definitely will be looking towards my lines that are easier more frequent breeders.... fun of a newer breed in progress. But they have best personalities and are super cute! :p

Latest posts