Promise Acres Rabbit Thread

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Was a good weekend for selling bunnies, got a deposit on 2 Saturday. Had a previous buyer contact me Sunday, I sent 3 home with her. Then have 3 to be picked up tomorrow. Only bad thing is that we're down to only bucks to sell...may have to have a buck sale.... actually gave one buck to the buyer yesterday... but she's a repeat buyer dispite have lost 2 does she bought earlier this summer.
I do have my keeper list down to 14, half are bucks... :lol:will still need to make more cuts but wanting to grow them longer. At this time am only keeping Sam as my only non PromisenAcres bred rabbit... keep debating on him. But just crosses too well with girls from my original lines. Example:
Doc Holiday, Sam x Twilights son is looking really great at 5 months. NCM_2984.JPG :love his fur just screams velvet!!!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So got notice that the VLRCA is disbanding. :oops: while I didn't agree with everything it was the only Velveteen lop club available. I guess it wasn't a huge suprise as it focused on the last presenter.... not so much the breed in general. :idunno

:fl they pass with Megan the new presenter. Such a wonderful breed if they can only pass.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two more bunnies leaving this weekend. Then a couple in September. Down to 29.... yeah still not to my 15.... :idunno So decided to breed Padame `, Xara, and Celestia come next week. :fl they settle, but won't hold my breathe. Xara is shedding/molting.... really would be nice to get some better does. Not super thrilled with my selection of jr does... they're ok... but definitely need to grow, lost 1 due to a broken back. Still have 5 bucks for sale, 2 or 3 I may just cull. No point in feeding pets...

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
So got notice that the VLRCA is disbanding. :oops: while I didn't agree with everything it was the only Velveteen lop club available. I guess it wasn't a huge suprise as it focused on the last presenter.... not so much the breed in general. :idunno

:fl they pass with Megan the new presenter. Such a wonderful breed if they can only pass.

I've heard the expression, "too many chiefs, and not enough indians" (I hope that doesn't get interpreted as some sort of racial slur) as the reason that some groups fall apart. In this case, it seems to be the opposite - too many members that only want to be members, not "chiefs," or at least, not willing to shoulder the responsibilities of chiefs. I know it can be very hard to find people willing and able to devote the time and energy these days, and of course, it seems inevitable that those who do wind up getting criticized . . . :rolleyes: I hope a stronger club manages to re-form behind this breed; the V-lop has been in the works for quite a while, and they are really coming along nicely.

(I have to admit, I noted the addition of the Argente Brun to the list of showable breeds with a somewhat jaded eye. A number of years ago, the standards committee said that you had to have a distinctly different rabbit to get consideration; they wouldn't accept anything that could be considered the same as another breed, just a different color or fur type. I believe at that time, what was being worked with as a potential "Velveteen Lop" was very similar to a Holland, just with Rex fur. Creating what is more or less a scaled-down English Lop with the Rex coat has taken many more years.

I'm not clear on whether the various colors of Argent rabbits are considered separate breeds or just different colors in other countries, but they seem pretty darn similar to me . . . .:idunnoAhh, club politics.)

I hope the new presenter can get a core of really dedicated breeders supporting her efforts. As you have probably noticed, it's surprisingly hard to get the required number of really good animals to make the presentations with; I've seen entries rejected for stupid things like mismatched claws and bad teeth (those things should have been evident long before the rabbits got hauled to convention, wouldn't you think?). I've heard the Lionhead people complain that the showable colors they currently have don't work well together, but that's because those were the only colors that the presenter could consistently scrounge up enough "good ones" to present. However boring it may be to only work with one color, I can see that it would have its advantages.:\

I wish you all luck.:fl

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
"Plush" lops is the Holland lop crosses.... they are definitely different than our velveteen lops. Sometimes I think people like to cross breeds just to "see" :\ as you probably know velveteen lops have actually been around for a long time...it can be hard to explain to newbies that they should get pedigreed, purebred stock rather than reinventing the wheel... :smack intial costs might be more but you'll be years ahead. Then there are those just focused on their favorite colors.... the longer I am at it, the more I get focused on type, colors are just a bonus. Since we have soo many to work with. ;)

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well it's day 34....no bunnies :hu oh well. Will try and breed the new mini rex after we get her. And Celestia since short ears are best on them. But no more velveteen lops until Spring.... oh well. Though today at the rabbit show I bought a new jr doe. Ears already 15.5" & Twilights niece. :love she's a gold tipped steel, very pretty color.
Yes pictures are in order.
John's mini rex C3PO got BOV in both shows
Jocelyn's Polish got a 2, and 2 3rd (need to convince her to let me sell her jr doe....)
& Promise Acre Doc Holiday got BOB while Promise Acre Julian got BOV. There were 7 or 8 Velveteen lops. :weee Kids did well showing, handling their bunnies. NCM_3355.JPG NCM_3347.JPG NCM_3352.JPG
I am absolutely beat.... 3 kids, 1 mom and 8 bunnies well it was fun anyways.

And entered National convention this morning!!!!

Last edited:

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So it will be awhile before any more litters so here's some show pics
John's new mini rex doe.
NCM_3448.JPG she didn't place at nationals but got good comments. Her name is R2D2. She's only 4 months old.
Jocelyn and Chocolate at nationals, he was 15/15.... I think I got her convinced to sell Butterfly or Celestia and get a new doe. NCM_3456.JPG
if you missed my journal. Doc was 6th/16 & Julian (now in Texas) was 1/5! NCM_3450.JPG NCM_3464.JPGJulian is the broken orange on the leftNCM_3466.JPG
overall national was a good time. Super excited about the future of my Velveteens!

Attachments

• NCM_3467.JPG
    NCM_3467.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 81

Latest posts