Promise Acres Rabbit Thread

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol my four year old son said they are so cute he just wants to hold them and hug them. Lol he sweet.
My son says they pee on him every time he tries to hold them... LOL We try to limit holding at this age as they "popcorn" right out of your hands.. we have lost them due to them being dropped.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't had that happen but they don't get to touch them until they about 4-6 weeks old they don't know how rough they are being and I didn't want to have an accident. My two year old last year was able to get a hold of a few chicks the chicks didn't survive the experience. That was when they escaped our chick pen.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goliath.jpg
Meet Goliath our new New Zealand buck. To pair with our NZ girls for 4H meatpens and frankly a homegrown source of meat in this crazy world.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
He has a nice build for meat it seems. My only problem is he white lol. I am tired of white bunnies lol. Where some color. Lol

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am not a fan of white either... but the doe the breeder let us borrow then we bought for only $20 was a NZW so a buck to match is best for 4H as the meatpens are to match in color and size. Just easier this way. The NZW are one of the best meat rabbits, 2nd in popularity to the Californians in our area. Initially I wanted a different variety but price and opportunity talk. This buck is young and very nice... probably a $200 rabbit with his lines. I got him for $50 and the breeder was originally just going to give him to us. Or just let us borrow him... but I feel better paying a fee for him. She guarenteed him too... if he dies she'll replace. She also gives away meatpens for 4Hers.... Pretty awesome lady. She has a network in our area so people are able to raise their own meat rabbits... she was out yesterday just delivering breeding stock for that reason. So these are great show rabbits but great meat producers. We (and she) are not doomsday people but trying to be prepared.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love a good deal thats awesome. I haven't found a breeder like that so i mildly jealous. We have Californian rabbits and if my doe doest start producing soon i have to get a younger doe she lucky lucy claimed her as her pet other wise she would be eaten.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
P0N1a.jpg
First Velveteen lops of 2020! :bunny :bunny :bunny :bunny Just a litter of 4 but they all look healthy and mama Nairobi is doing great. Looks like all brokens, a blue chin,2 chins and a frosty? we'll see definate light color can be seen. So Frosty Jr is definately chin based not shaded as his breeder was thinking.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two kits like this broken chins? I hope
P0N12.jpg

and 1 broken blue (squirell) chin?
P0N3.jpg

and though this looks like REW there's a very light pattern showing up, so maybe broken frosty?
P0N4.jpg

Frosty the Dad
IMG_2757.JPG
IMG_2758.JPG
Mom (Nai) is a broken REW
Nai.JPG

Though Frosty appears broken smoke pearl, he has to be either a frosty (maybe dilute based) or a Sallandar. I believe. so he is either aa B-cchd (cchd or cchl) d- eeEnen or AaB-cchd (cchd or cchl) d- eeEnen (his parents were a broken Frosty x Blue) I am assuming he does not carry REW (which there was a great grandparent REW on his pedigree) since we didn't get any from this pair BUT it's not impossible and will rebreed.
Nai I know from her pedigree and her past litter is Aa B-cc Dd E- Enen
Anyone have thoughts? @Bunnylady do you know much about the cchd genes?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's alot of genes, the first time i saw your post i hadn't woke up yet and oh my goodness did i get confused. Clearly alot more to breeding bunnies for show then for meat. I think I 'll stick to meat rabbits however i love the colors.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Chin gene (cchd) takes almost all of the yellow pigment out of the coat, and just a little bit of the black pigment. Chin babies look almost identical to Chestnut babies, except that the areas that would be yellow/tan are creamy white. If you have full color babies to compare them to, you'll notice that the dark areas on Chin babies are just slightly less dark than on their full-color counterparts, but you might not spot it otherwise (since eumelanin is not really black, but an intense, dark brown to begin with). This is true of Silver Martens and self Chins as well.

My favorite clue for telling the difference between a Chin and a Sable Agouti (Agouti-patterned animal with the shaded gene instead of the Chin gene) is to look for shading. Chins have pretty much the same amount of pigment on the body as on the points, whereas Sables are generally darker on the points and lighter on the body. The exception to that would be the Sallander, which is pretty much a Tort with Chin instead of the full color C. Chin takes the yellow/red pigment out of the coat, so the areas that would be orange on a Tort become a sort of cream color. Your buck could be a Broken Blue Sallander (I've been looking at pictures of Tort English and Velveteen Lops, and the pattern of dark areas does look similar). Frosties are usually much lighter; being Agouti-patterned, they have dark ticking over white.

Just some thoughts. :idunno

Latest posts