Proper fencing for goats to keep predators

Martin's Grove

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a next door neighbor that lets their dogs run loose. They are on my property several times a day. We have coyotes in our area. I do not want to get a dog to protect the goats. Would woven fencing with electric wire on the outside be enough to protect my goats? I plan to bring them into the barn at night but there are times I get home after dark. Ideas-suggestions.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
First what I would do is I would let animal control know the dogs are on your property.

Then I would get woven wire fencing. My dogs don't go through it, though of course they are only 14 and 17 lbs a piece. However, the house in front of me has woven wire as the fence in their backyard, and their Jack Russell and the neighbor next door's pit bull bark at each other through that fence and no one goes through. So I think you should be safe with woven wire fencing.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No you will need electric. Woven wild will not even faze a determined dog or coyote. I would do two strands around the outside one about 10 inches up and another about 20 inches.

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We been having trouble with neighbors dogs jumping over our fence to get in. Too many people in my area let their dogs just run loose and create havoc.
Per feedback from a friend that lives behind us, someone ran over one of the 2 that were jumping over and we have not seen the other since then.
Fences do not always keep out determined dogs and saddly Animal Control will not pick up the offending animal unless you catch it for them. We try to use no kill methods; however, sometimes you are just forced to SSS. I do close my goats up at night which gives me peace of mind that they are safely tucked in.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Many states have a leash law and laws to protect your livestock. Hotwire will definately be needed. I have 5 strands total, 3 strands on the bottom about 8 inches apart and 2 close togeter at the top. Recently we had a dog dig in and maul my wether(before the hotwire). In California if you shoot them attacking or threatening your livestock animal control will come get them. ;) Then they lent me (no deposit needed) a dog trap and we've already caught one within 12 hours of the trap being baited. They came and got him, no problems and we're about 45 minutes out from town. They're not okay with people letting their dogs run free causing major problems. I have really come to respect the animal control here after the last few weeks! The main officer I've been working with came back up to get the traped dog and commented on my hotwire job, "Wow, did you do this since the attack? Nothings getting in there!!" (Gah, I hope not!!) I cant say animal control is this helpful everywhere but it isnt a dog owners right to let it run free!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In my area of Cal. / Wa. ... it takes animal control over a day to show up :rolleyes: to take a report and the pesky dogs are nowhere to be seen at that time. :idunno It seams that they as well as the so called rescue groups are more interested in seizing one's dogs and then shake one down for money then ask for donations ( not only from you ,but from family members while one is busy talking to them :rant ) to fund their operations as they say that they are always short of money. :hu

Martin's Grove

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Animal control does an okay job in our area. I've not called the authorities about these dogs trying to keep good neighbor relations. I've called the neighbors about the dogs and things improve for a short time but then theyre out running around my place a week later. So I want to make sure the fence will be sufficient to keep 2 cattle dogs & a pit bull out. I love dogs & could never be mean to one but I've always kept my animals on my property. It's the law & it's the right thing to do for the dog. Thanks for those who gave me suggestions on fencing. I really appreciate it.

nelson castro

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If there's one thing that is a definite challenge with goats, it has to be fencing to keep them where you want them. Before you rush into fencing, take into consideration a few things that may save you a lot of time, money and hardwork.
- Type of fencing
- Area you would like to fence
- Your terrain
- Amount of money you have to spend
- Do it yourself or hire someone?

;)

danielburns271

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
nelson castro said:
If there's one thing that is a definite challenge with goats, it has to be fencing to keep them where you want them. Before you rush into fencing, take into consideration a few things that may save you a lot of time, money and hardwork.
- Type of fencing
- Area you would like to fence
- Your terrain
- Amount of money you have to spend
- Do it yourself or hire someone?

;)
Great idea Nelson..

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why do you want your goats to keep predators? (just teasing I do know that is not what you were asking... but...)