Properly disbudded?

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20190510_210914896.jpg

Our goats are almost 3 months old. They were disbudded close to 2 months old (done by the lady we bought them from). I'm a little worried about their nubs...they seem large and I can't tell if they're still growing. Can anyone tell by this picture if the nubs are normal? Will scurs be an issue?

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry...forgot some info.

Both are does.
Both feel like nubs, not scabs. I'd say the nubs are about an inch tall.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you "re-do" at that stage of horn? I don't know, asking.

I assumed that once nubs were up, then the burning device was not going to do the job. :idunno 2 months seems older than most I've read about, unless vet is cutting.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:he

I thought they were too old for disbudding but the seller said she had experience (and I have zero) so I didn't challenge her...

Guess I'll keep an eye on them and see what develops. sigh. I really don't want to take them to the vet to have the horns removed but then, I also have 7 children and I don't want anyone accidentally gored.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
What kind of goats are they? If they are standard dairy does, 2 months was too old to try to disbud. Did you see the kids before they were disbudded? How big were the horns then? If the nubs are 1" tall now they are definitely growing horns. I disbudded my dairy kids at 1-3 weeks depending on breed and sex.

You can try disbudding paste. Some cattle people use it. It is very caustic, so separate the kids from each other so they don't get it in their mouths, etc. Don't let your children play with the kids while the paste is doing its job. I don't know if it will work, but if you don't want to dehorn by a vet, it is worth a try. I would check it out on line first.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What kind of goats are they? If they are standard dairy does, 2 months was too old to try to disbud. Did you see the kids before they were disbudded? How big were the horns then? If the nubs are 1" tall now they are definitely growing horns. I disbudded my dairy kids at 1-3 weeks depending on breed and sex.

You can try disbudding paste. Some cattle people use it. It is very caustic, so separate the kids from each other so they don't get it in their mouths, etc. Don't let your children play with the kids while the paste is doing its job. I don't know if it will work, but if you don't want to dehorn by a vet, it is worth a try. I would check it out on line first.

They're Nigerian Dwarf and no, I didn't see them in person before buying. :hide Just saw photos of them.

I'll look into the disbudding paste...though I'm not sure how to keep them apart. I have a pretty simple backyard setup.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no experience with Nigerians. Read the directions and how to use the paste before getting any. You might only have to divide the pen with a simple piece of wire. Maybe you could just put the paste on and put gauze over it then wrap their heads with vet wrap.

Anyone have experience with dehorning paste?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like a scur but it's hard to tell.
Can you get a couple more pictures?
You may be able to band it.