Pro's and Con's of lending out your boar for stud?

ChaoticAlchemy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We were asked by a local Organic Hog Farm if they could use our Registered Tamsworth Boar as a stud for their sows. We have never lent or rented out our boar for stud service and was wondering if anyone on here has and what the pro's and con's are? Nor do we know what the stud fee would be or should we just be happy we don't have to feed the 450lb giant for a month lol. I tried googling to find info on this and found nothing but I did find this website and was hoping maybe some of you may help me in deciding if we should or shouldn't and possibly what kinda fee we should charge. Located in Michigan if that matters. Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've only had a boar come to my girls, the only fee my guy charged was 2 piglets and feeding him for a month. My guy wanted to verify we had vaccinated against certain things (cannot remember which). Probably not much help but good luck!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah the fee with my friend who will let us borrow a boar is a piglet. He is just happy to have someone else feeding his boar for a month!

Is the place reputable? Do you trust them to take good care of him? I would be far less worried about renting out a boar than say, a buck or ram.

What do people vaccinate pigs for? We don't vaccinate for anything, neither does our friend who breeds a lot of pigs .

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My pigs definitely knew where home was!! If the got out, never went far and back at trough at feeding time:lol:

So, beyond feeding them I would just want to know the fencing was good. I will also assume there is no other boar hog on the farm?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I would be uneasy about loaning or renting out one of my animals. You might do it this time, just to help them out. I think I would offer to hold back a good boar piglet for their future use.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've never done this with pigs but I do it with cows. I pay $100 per cow in the field to borrow a bull for as long as I need him (usually 3 months) and that includes him getting dropped off and picked up.

As you mentioned the BIGGEST pro is that you don't have to feed him. Its the biggest con to me as someone that rents haha. Another Pro is he wouldn't wreck your stuff in the meantime haha. A Con would be that he is going to be interacting with other animals and he could always bring something back to your farm. I would suit him up with some vaccines if he doesn't have any that's for sure. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to the idea myself. Our neighbours borrow our cows and mix them in with theirs to eat down their grass. Saves us a fair chunk of money. We just make sure they go with vaccines and I check on them.

ChaoticAlchemy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the replies:) They help tremendously, especially with the questions we needed to should ask before going through with it!! My husband called them back today. They plan on only breeding 1 sow with our boar and we will be getting a piglet in return if Boris does his job. Come to find out we both bought our Tamsworths from the same person and that is how they came to get in touch with us. Also the guy we bought our boar from and the person who now owns the sow worked together at the USDA. So I'm feeling quite a bit better about this. Thnx again everyone!! Also so happy I happened to stumbled onto this website yesterday what a wealth of knowledge!!!!

Latest posts