Protecting Rabbits From Dog

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey guys, me again.

So, recently, we welcomed a little puppy into our family. His name is Whiskey and he is an amazing puppy! I love him a ton.

I just have a problem: He's kind-of a little predator. At my dad's house (which is about 3 blocks away from my mom and stepdad's, where we keep Whiskey), there were 2 rabbits living in a bush. And when there's 2, there'll be more, and so it went. Our neighborhood loves seeing them running around, and we do our best to keep them well. But, seeming as they all of a sudden love my mom and stepdad's yard, and since the populations aren't exactly thriving, I worry about Whiskey getting them.

I don't know if this affects anything, but we will train him for upland game bird hunting.

Do any of you have any ideas on how to either train Whiskey not to hunt rabbits, or how to keep the bunnies out of our yard?

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have no clue what type of dog he is, but I believe that a dog's trainability, personality, loyalty, etc. can be determined by the breed. I would tell you what type of dog Whiskey is, but I have no idea.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a auatrain Shepard lab mix awesome dog she herds the animals from cows,goats, chickens water fowl and also pigs but when it comes to my bunnies she knows she isn't allowed to touch but she has still killed a few one recently. She a year old and also bird hunts with dh. Rabbits expecially wild ones would extremely hard to train him to leave simply because the will run which makes for a prey drive to get set off. Mine goes for both wild and domestic rabbits but hasn't caught the wild ones yet.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have no clue what type of dog he is, but I believe that a dog's trainability, personality, loyalty, etc. can be determined by the breed. I would tell you what type of dog Whiskey is, but I have no idea.
Post a picture of the puppy. Definitely should help to narrow down what breed he possibly is. I also agree all dogs can be trained.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have a 1/2-acre yard in a medium neighborhood, is there any way we could sort of keep the rabbits off our property?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Uh thats a hunting breed thats probably going to be next to impossible to train him not to hunt those rabbits. And keep them out will probably difficult without fencing and generally once he start peeing aka scent marking they will learn to avoid that area.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have lots of wild rabbits and they don't ever come in our yard even with the temptation of fresh veggies growing right there.

Latest posts