1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Protection from horns?

Discussion in 'Livestock Guardians' started by Brittany09, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Jul 17, 2019
    Brittany09

Brittany09 Just born

I’m looking for ideas to protect my little girls and the goats from each other‘s horns! I’ve tried wrapping small tennis balls on with gorilla tape, and then finally just wrapped gorilla tape around and around until they were not so sharp and pointy. What is everybody else done? Any ideas appreciated!

AmberLops and B&B Happy goats like this.
  2. Jul 17, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

You can round off the pointed tips with a hoof trimmer. Also you can band the horns to eventually come off....some people use hose attached by duct tape from one horn to the other to form a U on top...or you can have a vet remove the horns completly and solve the problem....:)
    Welcome to BYH Britney !

AmberLops likes this.
  3. Jul 17, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

I don't have goats, I have sheep and they don't have horns. A lot of people disbud the horns at a couple of weeks old. You are far beyond that, so might consider dehorning by a vet.

AmberLops and B&B Happy goats like this.