Pulling baby to bottle?

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have an 18hr doeling (one of twins to FF). Mom has milk and is attentive, but I haven’t seen this baby express much interest in nursing. Weighed 3#4oz a few hours after birth. I’ve syringe fed a few ounces of colostrum (little bits at a time. She doesn’t seem hungry!). I’ve tried to put her to the teat - no interest. Ive seen her look for the teat a couple times overnight, latched briefly, but no attempt to suck. She is active and alert. Any guidance on when to pull? The only thing “wrong” seems to be a lacking interest. I’ve tried to sit and watch to see if shes eating when I’m not watching, but twice today I’ve stepped away when the babies went to sleep, only to come back and find them awake and about. o_O

She’s had E/Sel gel and B12 gel this morning. Temp is good. Active and alert. Sibling is finally showing interest in nursing and doing a good job, as of this morning. Any experienced wisdom would be appreciated.

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have been sitting in the barn, just staring as they slept. The little one just jerked awake, cried, marched over to mom and latched on! She actively suckled, took a break, then went back for more! Dang, these little guys know how to tug out heartstrings!!!! Either the vitamin gel just kicked in, or she’s been sneaking little sips whenever I wasn’t looking...
Thanks for the support!!! Nice to share the good news!

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have an 18hr doeling (one of twins to FF). Mom has milk and is attentive, but I haven’t seen this baby express much interest in nursing. Weighed 3#4oz a few hours after birth. I’ve syringe fed a few ounces of colostrum (little bits at a time. She doesn’t seem hungry!). I’ve tried to put her to the teat - no interest. Ive seen her look for the teat a couple times overnight, latched briefly, but no attempt to suck. She is active and alert. Any guidance on when to pull? The only thing “wrong” seems to be a lacking interest. I’ve tried to sit and watch to see if shes eating when I’m not watching, but twice today I’ve stepped away when the babies went to sleep, only to come back and find them awake and about. o_O

She’s had E/Sel gel and B12 gel this morning. Temp is good. Active and alert. Sibling is finally showing interest in nursing and doing a good job, as of this morning. Any experienced wisdom would be appreciated.
Howdy!
You make the call, but here's some thoughts:
1) Newbies need Colostrum! and momma's milk.
There are charts for volume/body wt., but the rule of thumb is to lift/hold by the front legs and see a round little belly. If it ain't round, it ain't full, and trouble will follow.
2) Don't grab the bottle yet. Tube Feed. If you're nervous, check out some youTube clips.
The reason is that it is always best & easiest to naturally nurse.
A new lamb can take the bottle and think momma ain't normal. Tubing will not replace suckling! A bottle might.
3) Sometimes, newbies have a hard start. It's good that momma's attentive. Can you milk her?
4) We've had lambs that exhibited similar symptoms. We later learned that we had to improve our mineral suplimentation program.
5) You are right on to watch temp & activity levels.
Love em, watch em, help em if they need it. Let a good momma do her job whenever possible.
If you like books, Highly recommend Pat Coleby's "Natural Goat Care"
Hoping for good news. Best wishes

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m so glad you SAW her nurse! Now it can put your mind at ease! I bought the syringe feeder off Jeffers for like $2.99.... didn’t need it...thankfully! It is amazing how fast you fall in love with these little ones!! We’ve had people to the farm, offering to buy my kids...Chris teased..’you couldn’t buy them for $1,000’!! Very true!! Priceless to me!! Enjoy Her now!! :love

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have been sitting in the barn, just staring as they slept. The little one just jerked awake, cried, marched over to mom and latched on! She actively suckled, took a break, then went back for more! Dang, these little guys know how to tug out heartstrings!!!! Either the vitamin gel just kicked in, or she’s been sneaking little sips whenever I wasn’t looking...
Thanks for the support!!! Nice to share the good news!
YEEEE-HA!! I love good news.
Just curious, was the labor difficult?

Coolbreeze89

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
YEEEE-HA!! I love good news.
Just curious, was the labor difficult?
Nope. She dropped the kids between breakfast and my midday checking. She’s very skittish (I couldn’t check ligaments unless I restrained her which would have caused hysterics!). I knew she was close, but no obvious signs even a couple hours before. I walked in to twins half-cleaned, the bigger one already standing!

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.
We are so glad to hear good news from you.
A difficult birth can be rough on newbies but doesn't fit this scenario.
Do you have a vet school or other facility that could work up a nutrient profile?
There are six major classes of nutrients: water, protein, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, and vitamins.
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory is an example (MI State U)
Texas A&M has a tremendous Vet School. Depending on cost, you may want to consider some diagnostics.
If you work with a Vet, he/she could help.
We try to test soil, forage, and blood to see where we are and then construct a feed program to fit.
Enjoy your babies :)