Pumpkin seeds

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Has anybody ever used pumpkin seeds for a natural dewomer??? I have recently heard that it's a very good way to get rid of worms, and I am considering trying it next time I have to deworm.

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have been told almost the same. I was told that squash and pumpkin are good dewormers. We always gather the leftovers from a local pumpkin patch and feed our livestock all they can hold. I don't know if it actually works as a dewormer, but the goats love it. I am interested to hear more on this.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think the term "deworm" is overused. Most "natural dewormers" don't kill the parasites but inhibits the reproductive cycle.

Honestly, so many say all kinds of things are great dewormers but no one has the facts, and no one will run fecal. The best way to see if this works if to get a scope (or have your vet run a fecal) and see the reduction %.

I have seen people that swear by using herbs in the feed several times a week and believe it works. Yeah it works great until I grab the poop and the goat has a 1500+ EPG and has white lids. :rolleyes:

One farm I know swears by putting DE in feed, again white lids and high counts. :barnie

Now I have seen goat EPG numbers go down when the animal is moved on to more land with pine trees and lespedeza.

If you decide to go this route, run the fecals and see the parasite loads and don't go in blind. I would love to find an all-natural solution to deal with parasites :thumbsup

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I found a study that was ultimately inconclusive on the pumpkin seed as a wormer thing. It was interesting to read, but not really forthcoming with info.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Personally, I would imagine it is the same situation as with bleach vs. vinegar in mop water.

Disrupting the cycle and inhibiting the parasite growth is great - if you can keep the animal from getting re-infected or can keep the parasite load from getting bad.

I would like to find something that can be grown that is effective. I would rather spend my time than my money on dewormers and such.

As far as lespedeza, I've heard that there is more than one type and some don't work as well. One person told me that copper (think mineral block) helps reduce the parasite load. That same person told me that plants the goats eat need to be at least 6 inches tall as the parasites that climb such things rarely climb that high.

cybercat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pumpkin seeds will work if loads are light. How is that they are high in copper. Like kale and sesame seeds which are also high in copper. I use more than one natural herb/plant in my worming routine. I also have fecals done. So far so good only one issue my breeding buck. Not surprising considering the stress. But non breeding buck and girls are parasite free, vets words not mine.