Puppy and hot wire troubles.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need some advice from some pros.

I brought Alondra home about 2 weeks ago, she is 5 months old ASD and not really leashed trained. After a few days in the barn we went for walk in the field with the goats and she hit the hot wire, and screamed her head off. Ended that on a bad note. The next day she comes out into the field with me and spends about 30 min. with the other dogs exploring and being a dog. And then she hit the hot wire again, she headed for the barn. The next day she didn't want to go into the field but I coaxed her and guess what...how can any pup be so unlucky, the field is big.

Now she is terrified to leave the barn. How do I "fix" her? I have had dogs and pups learn about the wire many many times, but they have never had this bad of a reaction. I feel horrible, but I see her trying (and succeeding) to climb out of her kennel with 5' stock panel so she needs to learn to respect the fence.

Short of dragging her out with a leash on any other ideas? Have I ruined her for life?

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Give her time - let her stay with the pack - don't cut her back on time with them. She will see their ways around the wire and hopefully learn and get over the fear. They have to learn.
It is never pretty. Give her more time, its too early to say she has been 'ruined'. Too much too soon, sit back relax don't rush her so much. Let her be let her come out on own, mingle with pack. That is key she has to join them and settle in. 2 weeks is too soon to make judgement. Assuming of course, she is of good breeding stock, from good proven lines and good breeder.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not really worried that she is 'ruined', ;) I know she is young. I just wanted ideas on ways to reintroduce her to the field and if I should drag her out of the barn or let her take her own time. The last time she hit the wire she ran away from the barn and went and sat in a creek for about 30 min. I finally carried her to the barn...literally, she would not come near that wire on her own and I needed to go do other things. I will just give her some time and let her decide what to do, she loves my other dogs so I am hoping that she will follow again eventually.

She seems perfectly comfortable around the goats and had been with them when I got her. After my struggles with my 1 year old LGD, Mia, this girl will be a walk in the park.

She will be experiencing her first kidding tonight too. Of course from the other side of the wire since my goats aren't sure about this new little creature and I don't want to stress out the doe. They know about dogs, just not this dog yet.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did she hit the wire when she wasn't paying attention? I wonder if you flagged the wires closest to her eye level she would see them more easily.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
She walked up to fence line and started sniffing and the wire is just at her head height so when she raised her head she was under the wire. She just doesn't know that it is even there. I think I will try and hang some flags on the part that she is in the most.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alondra still won't leave the barn. She happily goes in with the goats after breakfast but she won't go out into the field at all. The other day all the goats and dogs went into the back pasture and she sat there and howled for over an hour. I finally gave her a goat from another pen just to shut her up. I guess it is good that she missed her herd when they left and she is PERFECT with the baby goats. They sleep on her, climb on her, and she pays them no mind. I am thrilled about that at least. She barks when the other dogs bark, and she barks at things she sees as a threat, but not a nuisance barker; I love that too. Now if I could only get her out of the barn. Maybe I need to get some hot dogs and lure her. IDK

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
What about a gentle leader like a horse halter for dogs or a collar and lead to get her walking. I am sure in a little while she'll forget and want to venture out there when she sees how much fun it is outside. Or feels her goats are threatened out there.... I'm no expert but we did have a rough go of it with our dogs and the underground fence, I know it's different but it was a warning beep then zap and even with the flags they didn't get it right away... . They were affraid of people and the woods on any side of us because they got zapped a couple times when they jumped up and one side of the fence was before the woods.... It took sadie a couple months to come around but she was more sensitive. Rumely forgot and acted like he was dying every time he got it and Stella knew what it meant. Hopefully this means she'll respect it a whole lot more ;)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would get some treats and get her to come out a tiny bit, then the next time get her to come a little farther... Build up to her getting farther from the barn.

She sounds like she's going to be a fantastic dog once she gets a little braver!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was thinking of the leash but I think I need to get her used to it in friendly territory first and then the field and I just haven't had time. She is my gentle soul, she corrects easy and wants to please me. She is the opposite of Mia; who is turning out to be a great LGD too.

Mia never leaves her goats and they follow her everywhere. While I will say that Mia is a patroller she will go on a high spot and rest and watch too. She has let the baby goats crawl all over her without trying to play with them but she and Alondra play hard. I really wish I had raised her with another puppy, IMO it is so much easier to have two pups.