Puppy and hot wire troubles.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you have it right @babsbag. Leash her and walk her around away from the field and fence. That should set in her mind that the entire outside world isn't going to bite her. From there hopefully you can get her closer to the field. Not sure how you get her to the safe edge of the "warning lane" distance to the fence though. I wonder if a shock collar with tonal warning that you control would help with that. When you near the fence (once she is willing to get within a thousand feet of it!) hit the warning tone (skipping the shock button of course) and then walk parallel to it so she maybe learns there is something there she doesn't want to approach. Intentionally dip a bit closer to the fence now and then and hit the warning, then retreat, continuing down the fence line.

Or not since I've never had to deal with this.

Too bad Mia can't just sit her down and explain things to her in dog language!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that is a good idea with the collar and I have one of those. I have had many dogs learn about fences but none have been terrified like this. I have been turning off the fence during the day just in case she gets brave.

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@babsbag I seem to be unable to PM you or am limited to only 400 letters ?
So putting it up here.

It is impossible for me to say how much of this could be coming from events that happened to the puppy before you got him at a fairly advanced age. But that aside, going with this.

Pup obviously wants to be with the pack. You must make it comfortable for him. I want you to go buy one of those humane harnesses - I apologize I don't have a link for one, but there are many versions out there now that are affordable. They are less stressful and confusing than a collar and leash. Get pup in that harness and comfy - i.e. leave him in it for a night. Let him see it won't hurt him.

When morning comes and you let dogs and goats out from the barn, I want you to do more than just let them out. I want you to take pup along with you and follow the pack and goats. Yes, use treats - hot dogs, cheese - to bring pup along. The key here is YOU are going to be part of this, and do it at least twice a day more if possible. The point being, the dogs need to see you as part of the family pack, not just the gate opener who then disappears. The pup needs the added assurance and comfort of knowing you are there, and part of this. As this goes on I want you to walk parallel to the hot wire, and put yourself between the hot wire and pup. You are his protector. His shield. In time, he is going to see you as a partner and part of this, and it is going to give him confidence he lacks. It will take time, but the whole thing is you don't just stand up at the barn and wave goodbye to dogs and goats. YOU go with them. YOU become part of that little 'migration' every day. And you hang out there with them. You do it at least twice a day if not more. You sit down out there in the field - that is a huge calming signal. It shows dogs you are relaxed, calm, 'all is well' - they will feed off that and so will pup.

Let me know once you've tried it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Then she doesn't need the dog since she is taking the place of one! :lol:

Sounds like a good plan and I hadn't thought of the handler being between the dog and the fence as a "protective barrier". Your experience is showing :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
These are the harnesses we use for hotwire training we use a lunge lead for free movement but controlled...

wingin-it-farms-lgd-pups-training-to-hotwire-2-jpg.8552

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will go harness and hot dog shopping. She loves food so tempting her with a treat should be fairly easy...I hope.

When I first got her she had no problems following me out into the field and she was not afraid of the goats or of her new surroundings. She spent two night in the house as I wanted her to meet the house dogs and cats and just get comfortable with me. I was happy with her confidence around the other animals and her new home but it did take a bit of work to get her used to slippery floors; she was good with carpet but gave the hardwood an evil eye. She loved going to do chores with me as dirt, dogs, and goats is what she knew. She is a climber and digger so the hot wire is in her future. :(

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally I have NEVER used food as a motivator. Relationship and trust is superior and has far better results.
I also have never owned a LGD that could be manipulated by food. Even when we had young pups that the neighbor tried to bribe with food it didn't happen- it only made those dogs to view that neighbor as a permanent enemy. Why? Because WE were not present.
I know trainers will do things differently however food bribery has consequences as well.... if you can bribe, so can others. ;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't want to pull, push, carry, or drag...she is too big. The second time she hit the fence I had to carry her back to the barn and that was 2 months ago and it was a chore then; I think she would have stayed in the creek all day. Food may be my only option. That girl just becomes dead weight at the barn door.

Latest posts