Pure New Zealand?

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am just getting started on my meat rabbit herd. So far I have got a New Zealand White buck and 2 Californian does from one breeder and then 2 broken New Zealand does and what I was told is a Red New Zealand buck from another breeder. From googling I am thinking that maybe he is a meat mutt? Do Red New Zealands come in this different color? The person I got him from also told me his mother was a blue so I don't know if that helps any with his coloring. I am not showing so if he's not it's not a big deal. I just would like to know in case I go to sell some bunnies. I don't want to end up giving people the wrong information.

Editing to add that I do not usually build my cages with zip ties! I have 6 kids who love my j clip pliers. 🤣 And surprise! When I went to use them to build the cage I could not find them anywhere. So I used what I had around but am definitely going out today to buy some more pliers! Lol

Attachments

• PXL_20220315_233116569.jpg
    PXL_20220315_233116569.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had a New Zealand Red and I have to agree with Ridgetop, to light-colored. How old is it?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Color often fades as the rabbit ages. At this age he should be darker. Most likely a cross, possibly with a NZW? What other breeds did the breeder have?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Easy to tell Rex though because of fur texture - Rex fur is plush like velvet. New Zealand fur is not plushy.

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am just getting started on my meat rabbit herd. So far I have got a New Zealand White buck and 2 Californian does from one breeder and then 2 broken New Zealand does and what I was told is a Red New Zealand buck from another breeder. From googling I am thinking that maybe he is a meat mutt? Do Red New Zealands come in this different color? The person I got him from also told me his mother was a blue so I don't know if that helps any with his coloring. I am not showing so if he's not it's not a big deal. I just would like to know in case I go to sell some bunnies. I don't want to end up giving people the wrong information.

Editing to add that I do not usually build my cages with zip ties! I have 6 kids who love my j clip pliers. 🤣 And surprise! When I went to use them to build the cage I could not find them anywhere. So I used what I had around but am definitely going out today to buy some more pliers! Lol
I have been looking for a rabbit supplier myself but as with lambs there is a goodly number of people out there selling what they don’t have….asking for cash up front…. I understand that any time there is a bad time economically that this kind of thing will increase but it is incredibly frustrating for the farmer who just needs to get on about his/her business. I am a cash in hand, show me the paperwork kind of guy. I don’t believe in credit or trade nonsense. If you happen to know someone selling New Zealand’s or California’s with proper breeding paperwork I would love to hear from you. I would like to start with about 20 and work up to 800 over three years as I grow demand.

Latest posts