purplequeenvt - Ivy Knoll Farm

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
The last Border Leicester lambed tonight. Black boy, white girl.

I’m a bit worried about the girl. She was breech and is breathing a little funky. I’ve given her some meds and she’s up and trying to nurse so hopefully she’ll be alright.

1 Shetland left to lamb and she’s not due for a few more weeks.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son's white texas dall sheep have all had singles but one set of twins. He is down to about 10 ewes I think after heavy culling last year. I think he has 1 or 2 to go and he is not sure they bred as they were young ewes. So maybe it isn't just your sheep. Although I think @Mike CHS had mostly twins this year.....

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son's white texas dall sheep have all had singles but one set of twins. He is down to about 10 ewes I think after heavy culling last year. I think he has 1 or 2 to go and he is not sure they bred as they were young ewes. So maybe it isn't just your sheep. Although I think @Mike CHS had mostly twins this year.....

I didn't flush as well as we normally due as a result of my move. Things were so up in the air for a long time and I wasn't sure if I was going to be bringing sheep, leaving sheep, selling sheep, etc. We also usually give a BoSe shot prior to breeding, but when I pulled out what I thought was a mostly full bottle, it turned out to be mostly empty. I didn't have time to get more from the vet.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Little Isla

Esk, he looks like he's purebred Border Leicester, but he's not.

Thurso - I'm thinking about growing him out and breeding him to a few ewes this fall. He was born silver (instead of black that changes to gray) and that is something that I'd like to keep in the flock.

Finna, silver ewe lamb

Levitating lamby

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
The last 2020 lambs were born this morning. Black ewe and brown ram. I'm a little bummed that the brown one is a boy as I love Moorits (the Shetland name for brown) and that they are both solid colored instead of getting mom's color pattern, katmoget (badgerface), but they are alive and well so I will be content.

They've got perfect little Shetland faces, ears, and tails.