purplequeenvt Lambing 2016

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
We bred 24 ewes this fall to 4 different rams.

4 ewes (3 registered Southdowns and 1 Border Leicester/Dorper/Friesian/Shetland) were bred to a friend's registered Southdown ram. The Southdowns have been with the ram since July/August and the crossbred ewe went to visit him on 9/3.

8 ewes (7 registered Border Leicester, 1 BL/Romney) were bred to Sebastian, our homebred 2 year old registered natural colored Border Leicester ram.

5 ewes (all registered Border Leicesters) were bred to Alfonso, a 2 year old registered Border Leicester.

Both Border Leicester rams went in on 9/5

7 ewes (all registered Shetlands) were bred to Geode, a registered Shetland ram lamb.

Geode went in on 9/24

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lambing time is almost upon us! There is one ewe that could go as soon as tomorrow.

We had the bred ewes sheared at the beginning of January. Everyone was in really good condition and they had no issues with the cold weather.

This is Anita's udder. She's the ewe due first. This picture was taken right after shearing. Her udder is close to double that size now. She is 1/4 Friesian so she's got those good milking genes. Her lambs last year grew so well.

We had the vet out a week and a half ago to do some ultrasounds. The results were rather disappointing. Both the goats, 2 of the big ewes, and 3 of the 7 Shetlands were open.

I think the Shetlands not getting bred was my fault. I put the ram in earlier than normal (probably before they started cycling) and I think I took him out too soon. These 3 girls were also very mean to him. I put the 3 of them back in with the ram on the 15th and he's already bred at least 2 of them. I think the 3rd was in heat the same day as the 2nd so she probably got bred too.

We got our buck back from the people that were borrowing him and he immediately bred one of the goats. I haven't seen any interest in the other yet, but I'm not out there all the time.

Anyway, looks like we will have our main lambing in February/March and then will have another group in June. So far, they are all due over a week. The cow is also due at the beginning of June.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anita lambed early this morning. I did a check at 4 and found them. Twin boys. Baby #1 got too cold and died, but #2 is doing great. #1 was all white and #2 is black with a white spot on top of his head.

Our theme this year is a continuation of last year's - the periodic table. We ended with Vanadium so this guy is Chromium (Chrome for short).

Chrome is 1/2 Southdown, 1/8 Border Leicester, 1/8 Dorper, 1/8 Friesian, and 1/8 Shetland. He has it all in there - wool, hair, meat, dairy, and primitive!