Purplequeenvt - Lambing 2023

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Patti lambed this afternoon. Twin girls. I watched it all from my phone.

I’m shocked she had twins. She had no belly and was way too skinny. She plopped the girls out, gave them a couple licks and then dove face first into the closest hay pile. Seeing how skinny she is and that she actually had twins in the there, I’m really surprised that she didn’t develop toxemia.

I had to get someone to go over and put her in a lambing jug so that she could eat and be with her babies. She’s usually a great mom so the fact that she left them immediately for food says a lot. She’ll stay penned for a few extra days with extra feed.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like we’ve got 2 bottle babies. 😕 I might be able to get Patti producing enough milk eventually, but it kind of seems mean given how skinny she is right now. She hasn’t stopped eating since she had them. I’d rather pull them and make sure they get enough to eat and allow Patti to recover. This was going to be her last lambing anyways.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Patti has served you well. It’s a testament to your dedication to being a good shepherd that you are concerned about her. Pulling her lambs and bottle feeding them is a kindness to a ewe that has always been a good mom. Will she go to a pet home or get to stay and hang out and be your pet?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if that has anything to do with how “un-pregnant “ Patti looked?
Sorry that you lost one of the bottle babies.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lost one of the bottle lambs this morning. Not exactly sure why. She seemed ok when I got home from, but she crashed overnight.

The other baby seems ok. I’m a little stressed going to work today and leaving her.
Oh Geeze. So sorry.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been stalking this thread for the past couple weeks and I just wanted to say that you have some really pretty lambs this year. I’m sorry to hear of your losses but its just part of the process sometimes. I’m in love with the one ram lamb, he is such a cutie!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been stalking this thread for the past couple weeks and I just wanted to say that you have some really pretty lambs this year. I’m sorry to hear of your losses but its just part of the process sometimes. I’m in love with the one ram lamb, he is such a cutie!
Thanks. That’s the part of lambing season that’s hard, the losses.

I’ve had some pretty nice lambs so far. That Leroy though…he’s the ringleader of all the shenanigans. 🤣

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baby girl is doing well so far. We’ve made it through the first 24hrs which are the most delicate, but having lost her sister, I’m watching extra closely. She’s eating, pooping, and peeing well.

I’m off for the next 2 days and hopefully Freyja and Farr will lamb while I’m home. Especially Freyja, she’s an old lady (also her last year lambing) and I’d like to be there to help should she need it. Not that she’s needed it before, but seeing how my old ladies are faring this year…. Today is her due date, not that means much, but historically she goes pretty close to her date.