Purplequeenvt - New Journal

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was missing Orla (Shetland lamb) this morning when I went out to feed. She is one of the friendliest lambs and is always front and center during feeding so it was obvious she wasn’t there. I wandered the field calling for her and finally heard her calling back.

Another victim of the sinkhole.

We were under a tornado watch yesterday. We had lots of rain so the poor baby was obviously stuck out there most of the day.

She’s damp and muddy, but was giving off plenty of body heat and wasn’t shivering so I’m not too concerned with hypothermia. She was very hungry though. I’ve got her penned up in the barn with her sister for the day so she can eat and rest.

Oskar Biteyface dug up a fat mole yesterday. He spent a long time tossing it around the field and then he dug a little hole and buried it. Hopefully it was dead by then otherwise he’ll be disappointed when he goes back for it later. 🤣

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bonus of this plan is that I’ll have easy to catch/handle sheep that are also halter trained!
Something I truly missed once the children were no longer in 4-H was the halter training they did on the sheep! So much easier to shear.
The finger is ok. I was told not to bend it too much so I’ve kept it wrapped up so I can’t bend it. That’s probably helped with the pain. Stitches can come out anytime after Wednesday.
I did that to the knuckle on my middle finger several months ago. You will find that the finger joint gets really stiff and painful to bend when the stitches are finally healed. Massage the scar with Vit E cream and bend the finger (you may have to force it to bend) it will gradually go back to normal. Mine is still a little stiff.
Another victim of the sinkhole.
Can you do anything abut the sinkhole? It sounds really dangerous. What if you got caught in it while walking in the pasture?