Purplequeenvt - New Journal

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Breeding season is wrapping up. All the ewes except one has been marked. She didn’t breed last year either so there may be something wrong with her. I did see the ram harassing her yesterday so maybe?? She only has faint raddle marks so I’m not sure if she was actually bred.

I’ll be changing the raddle powder color one last time in a couple days for the 3rd and final cycle.

Burton’s group

Another one of my “useless” wethers, Doon.

Mr Twister

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
My barn has been a work in progress since I moved to this house in December 2019. I’ve been working on what I hope are the final renovations to the main area for a couple weeks.

The barn in 2019 before I moved.

2019 after moving

2022 - I started the project by taking all the sheet rock off the inside of the garage wall. There was also a huge built in shelf thing that had to come out first. Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of the wall before I tore it up.

This gate slides. The idea is that I can set up a chute along side the feeder wall, open the slide gate and funnel the sheep over the scale.

The front wall. I’m very pleased with how this turned out.

This is the first feeder (8’) that I built. It used to be part of the front wall. It fit perfectly under the stairs after I ripped out the weird pig/dog house thing. There was just enough room for a little gate which means I’m able to turn that area into a separate pen if needed.

The 3 new feeders (63”). I will be putting the round bale in the garage so it will stay dry and I can peel it apart and easily load the feeders.

Looking into the barn from the paddock. There’s a big sliding barn door that can be closed in bad weather.

This is the “lambing stall”. I set up jugs to put moms and babies and a lot of the ewes choose to lamb in there. The gate closes off the stall if needed.

Inside view of the new pen front. The feeder is only 4’ long and was one of the first feeders I built.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
First skein of yarn from Pretty Boy Hoy’s yummy fleece. Based on weight/yardage (90g/1600yd), it’s a cobweb lace yarn which is pretty much what I was aiming for.

The rest of the fleece is combed and ready to go whenever I have time to spin again.

—————

I’ve been dealing with some health problems for a while that I think we’re finally figuring out. I’ve had frequent headache/migraines for years, but last year they became constant/chronic migraines. It was rare that I didn’t have some level of migraine. I was also dealing with a high level of anxiety.

I was finally diagnosed with ADHD last month and am taking medication for it. I feel like a new person. The best part, I haven’t had a migraine (or anxiety attack) since starting the ADHD meds!

My doctor sent me to an allergist last month and I was tested for allergies to basically everything. I’m allergic to dogs, cats, dust mites, cockroaches, and pretty much every tree, grass, pollen, weed, mold, fungus, etc…

The doctor, he seemed like a dog person, suggested that maybe the dogs don’t sleep in my bed. I just laughed and said we’d think about it. There’s currently one stretched out next to me on his back and the other is curled up by my feet. 🤣

I’m going to be doing allergy shots to hopefully lessen my reaction to life eventually.

—————
Looks like I should expect lambs Mr Doon in approximately 147 days. 😂

Nith

Elsa

Isla

P-Ewe, she had a rough time as a youngster. She ripped her ear tag out AND tore her eyelid in the same year. She looks goofy, but she’s sweet.

Oban and Kinta. They’ve been on lockdown all through breeding season because they will find a way to get to the ladies if not secure. I wouldn’t say they are pleased with the situation. Both will be going in the freezer soon.

Oskar is not as dumb as he looks (just kidding, he doesn’t look too dumb). It was raining and he didn’t want to get wet.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m impressed with the improvements you have made on your barn. That’s a LOT of work and now it suits your needs much better. You now have a custom barn for sheep!

That skein of wool will be transformed into one of your works of art. I can’t wait to see what you do with it. You are so incredibly talented.

All those allergies! At least you know, I hope the shots help. After all, it’s not like you are going to give up your lifestyle and go live in a bubble with no outside contact.

ADHD. My daughter has been diagnosed with that. She has done well with her medication. She only takes it when she really has to double down for concentration. So far, so good. The best part of your treatment is no more headaches. You have mentioned them from time to time, but never really complained. Headaches can be beyond terrible, you are a strong woman to power through unceasing migraine headaches. I am delighted for your sake that you have finally found and treated the cause, and they are gone.

Your sheep are, as always, beautiful creatures. I love the pictures you post and the whole process of wool sheep. You almost tempt me…… LOL

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So am I keeping a “useless” wether? Definitely. I can’t even justify it by saying that I’ll sell his fleece to help pay for his feed because let’s be real, I’m not sharing his fleece.
Absolutely NOT useless! He is producing a beautiful fleece that you are able to utilize since you spin. And as a wether he will produce that excellent fleece every time unlike ewes whose fleece can suffer when breeding and lambing. And like you say, you are paying for his feed. Also, putting him in the freezer would give you several meals then the meat is gone. Keeping him and getting a beautiful fleece every year means you can enjoy him for years!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oskar Biteyface is 8mo and 94.5lbs. He’s already the biggest LGD I’ve ever had.
LOVE THAT NAME! :love

Oskar looks like an Anatolian. Our male Bubba reached 160-165 lbs. at maturity. Sometimes the larger dogs are not as agile as the 130 lb. bitches. But what you lose in agility you gain in power. With 2 bitches 110 lbs. and 130 lbs., Bubba was the large artillery in our warrior band.

Latest posts