Purplequeenvt - New Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like you are ready for Mother Nature! Oskar is a doofus, but a loveable doofus! Cute Christmas Gnome, you never fail to amaze me with your artistry in wool.
Shots! No fun, but the results will be worth it. Enjoy your time off!
Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you and family. ( That includes Oskar Biteyface) :)

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oskar’s brother, Stoick, is over for a visit. Their sister, Hiccup, is in heat so Stoick is hanging out with Oskar until it’s safe.

“I’ve got a stick and you don’t!” Thankfully the pond is shallow and the ice was still solid enough to hold up to almost 300lbs of dog.

Oskar Biteyface

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
“Breakfast?”

Minch got castrated this afternoon. He’s too small to slaughter this winter and I don’t want to risk him turning mean like his dad. He also has a really nice fleece. Being castrated gives me/him more options. He’s too big/old for a bander so I was considering using a burdizzo, but my best friend is visiting right now and she happens to be a vet so we surgically castrated him. He’s not very pleased with me tonight, but I think he’ll get over it.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Minch is a pretty boy. When you slaughter, do you ever send the hides to be tanned for a fleece wool rug or other uses?

Not since I moved to KY, but we used to get the hides tanned. Depending on the place, it’s not super expensive, but the shipping can get you.

I’d also need to work on selling them because unless the animal had sentimentality value, I don’t need more pelts sitting around. I already have a llama hide and a Shetland that got hit by a semi-truck. I just don’t have the time/energy to be dealing with selling extra stuff right now.

I did salt the skins of the sheep I slaughtered last year, but they’ve been rolled up in the barn for a year now and the cats slept on them and who knows what else so I’ll probably end up chucking them.