Put a face to a name! Please post your pic here!

Blooie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@rodeogirl
Holy smokes! I knew you were close to me, but not that close!! 6 miles? Seriously?

20160714_230433977_iOS.jpg

Hubby Ken and I. Got our 49th anniversary coming up in a few weeks.

IMG_5203.JPG

And to get to know me, you'll have no choice but to get to know these characters as well. L-R back: Katie, Evan, Ken, Little Diane Front: me holding our precious Kendra.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Read your New Member intro post. Congrats on moving back to your roots. Are you planning to get some herd animals after the chickens and rabbits are up and running?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Howdy, and welcome from Texas! Sheila looks like a wonderful trainer. I have an English Shepherd and she's a pretty good 'trainer' too!

sonorabitandspur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have horses, would like a cow or two. Thought about sheep or goats but the coyotes run all day all night here. Go to sleep to their song all most every night and wake up to it too! I like it, but might worry the sheep! Lol! Everyone close by has cows or horses.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need a Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD) for your future sheep and goats. I have 4 and they are amazing animals. I also have two dogs (Border Collie x Queensland cross) that live in the house and yes, they have me trained. :)

sonorabitandspur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, we have friends with Anatolians and Akbash, how ever we live in a county where animal control faithfully enforces a four dog policy. There is no consideration for those who raise or maintain herds of livestock. Many ranchers and local farmers are unhappy with this but the people who move to our rual lands from LA SF or other large city, for peace and quiet out number herdsman. Here's a thought, If ya gotta move to find peace and when ya got there you found nothing but constant irritation, then maybe your the problem! Lol! Just sayin'. I am being a bit tounge and cheek here, I have no desire to offend anyone. Here is an example that I personally experienced. I was walking thought the upper small pasture and with all the rain the gophers and squirrels have been working overtime. I took a step and water squirted out of the ground and halfway up my pant leg! I thought some nasty thought toward gophers and said, "what good are these little nuisances!" Then I began to realize they are part of the creation with their own purpose. In fact during rainy seasons their holes serve to help water penetrate the hard ground and not just run off down the stream! So I was able then to "chillax" (Californian for "take it easy.") and go on enjoying what is around me! Gophers and squirrels don't bother me now! Lol!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sad about the ranchers and the city folk, it is the same in Shasta county. The city folk come here and want us to conform to the life they were wanting to leave. And then I get lumped into the "city folk" mold since I moved from the Bay Area but being that I grew up in Sonora I am NOT a "city folk" at all.

Our animal control pretty much leaves us alone in the country and I am not sure what the rule is regarding working dogs and I am certainly not going to ask. My neighbors are far enough away that the dogs don't bother them and they aren't "city" folk either. They have their own "crops" so we just leave each other alone.

We have ground squirrels here and they really cause a lot of damage undermining buildings. So while I agree that they have their place it isn't going to be on my land. I wish that the coyotes would just keep them in check and save me the trouble.