Put a face to a name! Please post your pic here!

Don Scroggins

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You say you want Jersey or Dexter, would that be for on farm milk sales? Here in Texas, it is legal to sell raw milk, on farm only. You might research your state laws on that. Jerseys are nice cows, don't know much about Dexters. Go join in the fun in the forum, just be warned, we all love PICTURES!

We chose those breeds for size. If we go with Jersey we're likely going to look for mid-size rather than mini's or full. We do want to milk, perhaps some on farm sales, but mostly for our own use as well as cheese and other dairy products.

Would like to have some beef cattle to, and may actually start with those since we have zero cattle experience.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For beef cattle I would go with Dexter's. Like I mentioned before I tend to 2 Dexter's, 1 Black Angus and 1 white-faced Hereford.
I would like to get a Scottish Highlander and a milk cow but currently not set up to have a milker.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don,
I found a really good self sufficiency guide book on the Amazon store for free. It's called "Self Sufficiency: A beginners..." by Nancy Ross. I think it would help you out.

Mother Hen

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your welcome.
I take it you were able to get that book and it was very helpful to you.

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of these people is me. The rest are probably related.
holidaycard.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! Good to have you with us. I see you already have another thread going but that seems more directed at dealing with an issue (sorry) than an introduction, so figured I'd welcome you here so's to not waste font space over there for the help. ;) Please make yourself at home ad browse around. Jump right in when you feel the call. Oh,for easier future reference, you really should put at least your general location in your profile. If you ask for or offer specific help/advice, location is often pretty important.