Put a face to a name! Please post your pic here!

FRED DESANTIS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
My name is Fred Desantis. I recently purchased three purebred Kiko goats, two Doe's and a Buck nine to ten months old. This is my first experience raising goats.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!!....:frow
There are many here that have goats for several purposes, so what are your plans for yours?......by having a buck and 2 does, I suspect breeding is on your list....if ya are keeping them penned together, then it won't be long before ya are gonna be dealing with birthing....ya may want to make plans to get a wether to keep the buck company after ya separate the does for birthing and nursing the kids....there is a bunch of info in the goat threads that can give ya a lot of good info on this period of time and I know ya will find it very informative.
Again......:welcome........:)......btw, my name is Fred, too

FRED DESANTIS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!!....:frow
There are many here that have goats for several purposes, so what are your plans for yours?......by having a buck and 2 does, I suspect breeding is on your list....if ya are keeping them penned together, then it won't be long before ya are gonna be dealing with birthing....ya may want to make plans to get a wether to keep the buck company after ya separate the does for birthing and nursing the kids....there is a bunch of info in the goat threads that can give ya a lot of good info on this period of time and I know ya will find it very informative.
Again......:welcome........:)......btw, my name is Fred, too
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the good advice. Let me ask you,do you think a 16x16 pen would be good for the Buck and the wether or 20x20.

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Welcome Don, I have chickens, guinea fowl, turkeys, and ducks. We have Dexters. If you are going to buy registered Dexters for milking you need to look for the A2\A2 milk gene. I don't milk mine. As far as Dexters, if you are interested make sure you are buying a Non-PHA carrier. I have 1 cow, and 3 heifers. Down here in Texas, at least in my part, they seem to be a niche market. Most people raise the larger breeds, or Aberdeen Angus. We are raising them for ourselves to provide meat, and hopefully sell one or two calves. As far as my research goes, I can make more money selling hair sheep for meat than from the cattle. With most averaging twins, and figuring a low price of $100.00 per lamb (40 to 60 lbs) with 10 hair sheep you will make approximately $2,000. assuming all have twins. They usually have 3 crops of lambs in 18 months. My friend, Robin, also makes a nice profit selling chicks, ducklings, turkey poults, and guinea keets during the spring and summer. She has a cabinet incubator, and collects eggs from her various flocks. After hatching they go into her brooders her husband built. She sells the chicks for $5.00, the turkeys for around $10.00 to $15.00 per poult, the duckling for $5.00, and the guinea keets for $5.00. She usually is selling around 50 to 100 per week. She raises heritage turkeys. I love our farm. It is rewarding.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bigger the better, are you planning on dry lotting them, or are ya going to have a pasture area for them to graze and browse? They will have it down to dirt before very long if ya don't have a larger pasture area....also, ya will need some kind of shelter for them, because goats do not like to be wet and will be inside during rain and snow.....if ya don't mind...can ya give just a general location of where ya are?.....this can make a huge difference in giving advice....:)

FRED DESANTIS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_20181013_081920-EFFECTS.jpg

The bigger the better, are you planning on dry lotting them, or are ya going to have a pasture area for them to graze and browse? They will have it down to dirt before very long if ya don't have a larger pasture area....also, ya will need some kind of shelter for them, because goats do not like to be wet and will be inside during rain and snow.....if ya don't mind...can ya give just a general location of where ya are?.....this can make a huge difference in giving advice....:)
Hey there you can see more about my operation here https://www.facebook.com/The-Lazy-D-279785329265130/ I am in North Texas

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
@FRED DESANTIS your goats look good and there are several members in your neighborhood, too....something else that is interesting, is that the name of our farm is the Lazy A** Acres....our pics are on pg 15 on this thread....:)
@Latestarter is thinking about adding some Kiko blood to his lines and he doesn't live too far from ya....I'm unable to get on FB and quit using them several years ago, so I don't have an account to log on with....:)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Fred, since these are pure bred Kikos, may I ask where you acquired them? Just wondering on their ancestral lineage. I've been toying with the idea of acquiring a PB Kiko buck to put over my Lamancha girls. I too am in NE TX, Mount Pleasant, not too far from you. If one of your girls provides you with a buckling, perhaps you'd be willing to sell it as a future herd sire? Just more or less thinking out loud at the moment. Would first like to see/evaluate your present buck as well as the does since I'm looking to keep dairy ability (from my girls) while adding viable meat (from your buck) as well as parasite resistance (a prominent kiko trait) for eating in the cross.

You should consider starting your own Journal for these posts. I hope you'll stay with us and share your journey. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/members-backyardherds-journals.18/

ETA: The other Fred beat me to the question... :)

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome Don, I have chickens, guinea fowl, turkeys, and ducks. We have Dexters. If you are going to buy registered Dexters for milking you need to look for the A2\A2 milk gene. I don't milk mine. As far as Dexters,

Not sure whom you were responding to... went back several pages and couldn't find a "Don" or discussion about Dexters... Wrong thread perhaps? Or maybe you can go back and edit the post and add either an "@screenname" in place of don's name so he'll see your post, or add a quote of the post you were responding to...