Putting 8wk calves in pasture--what predators to watch for?

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We're new to calves. Just fixed our fence today to contain these little guys & they're scampering & eating happily. Our horses are in the near pasture during the day, but we put them in at night. I feel like once the calves and horses make friends, the horses may keep watch over the calves until they grow up. Does this mean we should put the calves in at night as well as the horses?

Will foxes, coyotes, raccoons, or possums bother the calves if we do leave them out? Would they be a hazard during the daytime if we're not around?

Thanks for the tips! We're starting from scratch.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The only predator you listed that I believe would be an issue is coyotes. If you have them, I would be inclined to bring those younguns in at night. At least until they are big enough to defend themselves, which in and of itself might be an issue against a pack of coyotes.

Oh, by the way, Greetings from the front range in Colorado!:frow :welcome Take some time and graze through some threads. :caf Lots of great folks and great info here and folks are always willing to offer help if asked.

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I've heard coyotes howl once in a blue moon, and I know we have foxes prowling in the spring who have taken a bunch of my birds. But I don't think we have ever had a pack of coyotes, nor have even seen one.

Is it OK to pen up the calves at night? Do they mind that?

I'm reading more every night here! So glad to read everyone's experiences.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
?? Ummm does it matter if they mind? :lol: :hu Just do it... It's for their own good. Don't see that they'd give you a hassle over it. Now's the time to train them to it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you put them in the barn separate from the horses? If they are small, the horses could kick or step on them.

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
make it a habit to feed them in the evening inside the barn so they look forward to coming in. then you can just call them and they'll come running
Got it. That's been our thinking so far!

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Can you put them in the barn separate from the horses? If they are small, the horses could kick or step on them.
They're in a different barn from the horses. They did meet noses today. Kinda cute.

Our Irish sporting mare trotted up and down the fence line when she first saw the calves in the near pasture. I think they'll be friendly in a few days. Hoping the horses won't be rough.

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
?? Ummm does it matter if they mind? :lol: :hu Just do it... It's for their own good. Don't see that they'd give you a hassle over it. Now's the time to train them to it.
Haha! Well, you know, I'd like to agree with their natural inclination as long as it's healthy & safe for all involved.