Putting weight on pigs....

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If these are truly "show" pigs, with the large, muscular hams, and thick, meaty loins, your tape will likely not be accurate, and your pigs might make show weight.

I was a 4-H leader for nearly 20 years. I had 4 children that showed nearly every type of livestock. My older son had grand champion market hog at the local county show for 5 years in a row.
His hogs also won rate of gain several times. The best one gained 2.23 lbs/day. This was good enough for 2nd place at the state fair, where nearly 1000 market hogs were shown each year. Of course, this was nearly 25 years ago.

I was glad when the last child graduated from 4-H, but now I miss it dearly. Wish some grandchildren lived close enough so I could experience the fun again.

Run-A-Muck Ranch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
If these are truly "show" pigs, with the large, muscular hams, and thick, meaty loins, your tape will likely not be accurate, and your pigs might make show weight.

I was a 4-H leader for nearly 20 years. I had 4 children that showed nearly every type of livestock. My older son had grand champion market hog at the local county show for 5 years in a row.
His hogs also won rate of gain several times. The best one gained 2.23 lbs/day. This was good enough for 2nd place at the state fair, where nearly 1000 market hogs were shown each year. Of course, this was nearly 25 years ago.

I was glad when the last child graduated from 4-H, but now I miss it dearly. Wish some grandchildren lived close enough so I could experience the fun again.
I am hoping because of the muscle they are truely making weight, but the tape doesn't show it...
yes the hams are huge on these pigs right now (or at least the part I can see.... :gig ) We always seem to get monster hams outta the pigs. I think some of it is nerves(on my part). I want my kids to beable to show them, with all the work they have put into them, I don't want to see them not beable to show because they didn't make weight....I would be happy if they JUST made weight...lol And my kids know it's not the color of the ribbon, or the $$ they make off the auction that counts. It's what they have done to get the pigs there, the work they did, and the fun they had, along with the learning they got outta it... (although its sounds WONDERFUL what you said about how your kids did....that would be the very nice as well....)

LavacaW

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey Run-a-Muck....Don't leave us hanging! When is the show and how are the pigs doing?:fl

Latest posts