Pygmies or Nigerian Dwarfs ?

RockyMountainFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey everyone I am planning on getting either Pygmy goats or Nigerian Dwarfs. I am leaning more towards the Pygmies but only because there are so many of them and also I can get a buck from my Grandpa across the road. But I want Nigerians because there are a few people around with them and also because they have those blue eyes! But which would you recommend ?

P.S. I have experience with goats but not the smaller breeds ;)

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Really depends on why you want them. For milk, go with the Nigerian Dwarf. I have ND's, some blue eyed, some not and they are really nice goats. I do have one Pygmy wether, and he's pretty cute too. Best of all, some of each.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pygmies. Absolutely. But, I'm biased! :) :hide

Just kidding...literally...triplets yesterday.

But, like others have said - personal preference, what are you looking for? Nigi's are known for milk production - but I've milked pygmies and have been surprised and pleased at the outcome.

I think they are both great breeds and you probably won't go wrong with either. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Melanie

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have both and I like them both. If you want milk you will get more from the nigerian dwarf. If you want meat go with pygmy. If you are getting them for pets you could get one of each.

RockyMountainFarms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am just getting them to have them, I think I can go with two of each and thank y'all. But I want Nigerian Dwarfs because there aren't a lot where I am and I would like to introduce them.