Pygmy doeling ill

CN18

Just born
Reaction score
I'm wondering about the BoSe also. Calling vet first thing tomorrow morning to see if I can get her in. Temp is normal.
@babsbag the kid that had cocci had it and was treated months and months before our doeling was born. He was treated with CoRid. No one else in our herd is or was sick for a long time prior to this doeling.
But I'm thinking she needs BoSe injection. Nutridrench seems to be helping some, but still not as physically active. We went to grab some hay from a bag and put it into a small feeder for her and she stole the bag and is digging in. Very healthy appetite. Napping off and on, but not quite as much as yesterday, but seems to prefer laying down versus standing.

RathdrumGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a pygmy doeling that's ill, but I'm not sure what exactly it is. Since it's the weekend if there's something I can do until we can get her to a vet, I want to get things started and do what I can for her. I don't have the calendar here right now but offhand she's about 8 weeks. She's lethargic and has been sleeping a good bit today. She's been eating and drinking as usual and seems to still have a healthy appetite. She has some soft stool, but it's not quite diarrhea. As in it's still pellets, but they're pretty soft and mushy and still the usual brown color. No mucus or anything visible in the droppings or under the tail. She's been pooping and peeing what seems to be the usual amount for her. She's been vaccinated and given dewormer. When she's up, she seems ok, but sleeping more than regularly. We got her about 3 weeks ago and she's put on weight, but not quite as much as her "sister," who is 3 weeks older. No symptoms or signs of any illness in any of the other goats. No changes in diet. We did have some sudden changes in weather and the temperature dropped. When we noticed her being a bit lethargic this morning, she felt a little colder than usual, but now temp seems to be back to normal. When she walks, there's no signs of any injuries or discomfort that might mean she's laying around more than usual because of pain. Also doesn't seem to be in any pain to the touch when I've felt her for anything unusual in case she took a tumble while playing. Making the normal burping/gurgling digestive noises. I'm concerned about how lethargic she seems. Any ideas?

RathdrumGal

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have had good luck with an oral gel product called Nursemate ASAP for Lambs in baby goats. I give it to weak newborns and it helps perk them up. I have never used it in a 2 month old, but I doubt it would hurt and it would give her some nutrition. It is sold OTC at feed stores. In the meantime, keep her warm in a dog crate in the house.