Pygmy Goat Bloated & High parasite count - no more guessing - not good STILL WITH US

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of our pygmy goats is obviously not feeling well, but not down.
Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated.
Here are the details:
She's 9 years old. Started showing signs of being quiet 2 days ago. Still eating drinking, passing stool and urine. Yesterday, I took sample to vet for egg count and she called and told me to bring her right in because her count was so high. She assumed she would be anemic and that's why she's quiet.
However, as we loaded her, we noticed she was quite bloated. When we arrived at vet, we all assumed she had gassy bloat as well. They started blood work and then we tubed her twice and actually retrieving some rumen, but never released air. We then drenched her and gave her a break. The whole time she continued to leave lots of samples of pellets all over the floor..so we know she's not blocked.
Then the blood work surprised us all when it came back normal.
I kept checking on her through the night and she seemed to rest fine, other than being obviously uncomfortable. She sits on her butt, with her front up on her legs.
This morning I gave first dose of wormer.
There was no change throughout the day, not better, but not worse either.
Tonight we managed to get about 50ml of drench in her by syringe. Then we walked her and got her to run back to the barn a couple times. Still no gas passing and little cut chewing, but still nibbling hay.
After my daughter and I taking turns rubbing belly and burping, we decided she'd had enough of us and let her rest. Called vet back, and she agrees that it's not presenting like gassy or frothy bloat. We're both guessing that it may be the high parasites count causing some belly bloat and discomfort.
We've lost 2 to parasites over the years (both older wethers), and this goats sister to anemia, so we're tring to stay ahead of this one.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Lots of questions here for you.

I'll start with the bloat. What makes you think she has it? Pygmy goats do have kind of a bloaty look to them. I ask because if the vet tried to get air out, and didn't, and she is chewing, eating, pooping I am just wondering what was the indicator? Second, what is the cause? What does she or did she eat?

Then for the parasites---what type of parasite are you treating her for per the vet test? Barberpole would cause anemia but the vet test said she wasn't anemic. Did they tell you what type of eggs were on the fecal? And what did you use to deworm?

What are you drenching her with?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
My pygmy dog-sits too. She is fine, but it is funny to see her do it. Just a goofy girl. :p

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lots of questions here for you.

I'll start with the bloat. What makes you think she has it? Pygmy goats do have kind of a bloaty look to them. I ask because if the vet tried to get air out, and didn't, and she is chewing, eating, pooping I am just wondering what was the indicator? Second, what is the cause? What does she or did she eat?

Then for the parasites---what type of parasite are you treating her for per the vet test? Barberpole would cause anemia but the vet test said she wasn't anemic. Did they tell you what type of eggs were on the fecal? And what did you use to deworm?

What are you drenching her with?

I've had pygmy's for 10 years, and I've seen the "hay belly" look before. I agree that it's a common look for the breed, but this just looked a bit more extended and hard. Again, hard is common, but with they way she was standing kinda of stretched, it just led to that conclusion. She's also doesn't have any gut sounds, so what she's chewing is likely what she is picking at. Both girls get a tiny bit of goat ration as a lure to put them in at night (just a taste), and my daughter said they may have got more than normal the night before. It's not the first time they've gotten into something, whether it be feed, chicken scratch, or chicken feed... but it was just another small thing that factored into the conclusion. They are now off feed completely. Only hay and fresh water.
I'm not sure of the specific parasite, but the treatment is Albendazole. One dose today, and second in 14 days.
The vet also gave an antibiotic because she had a low grade fever, and sent me home with one dose of NuFlor to be administered tomorrow.

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When I said, "I've had pygmy's for 10 years...", I certainly don't mean to imply that I think I'm anything close to an expert. They are pets, that think they are dogs. I put my faith in good veterinarians and use gained knowledge and experiences for the common things.

saltnpepper

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I requested a copy of the blood work from the vet and I can see that everything is withing normal range. Magnesium is slightly low, but not out of range. WBC just above mid range. But nothing like a red flag anywhere on her reports.
Egg count was 1550 per gram for Haemenchus. So the first dose of Albendazole was yesterday morning.
This morning she has not improved at all. She's still peeing, pooing, and eating hay when offered, but no rumen activity.
At lunch time she was the same. We'll do another 60 ml of the glucamenolyte drench tonight along with the second dose of NuFlor.
I'm at a loss for what else to do.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If egg counts are the same for pygmys as for standard size they say you don't need to worm a dry doe if it is less than 2000. So while I would've wormed her too as that is close, I wouldn't put it in the emergency category.

I would think the fever is more the culprit. Does she eat hay with enthusiasm our just nibble at it?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Babs where is that 2000 count from? I ask because almost all the research says 1000. :hu Is this something new, better data?

Personally I would never let any of my Dwarfs (or pygmy's because they are so small) get near 1000 count. The reason is because they are small. The parasite is a bloodsucker and takes a lot of blood, add that to a small goat and that goat will have a hard time of it.

What is in the drench?
Are you giving probios?

When our LGD had lower magnesium we were told to mix a tablespoon of mustard with water and drench... not sure about goats but imagine it would be ok. :hu