Pygmy goats from my past

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been doing some of that deep cleaning that I HATE, lol. But, in doing so I've found some treasures from my past. I came across a folder with a few pics of some of my former Pygmy goats.
There are a lot of memories and happy thoughts that go along with these pics. Thought I'd post some just because...

(Quality is not the best because I took a picture of the picture.)

This is Rebel. I got him at 3 weeks old because his breeder was "confused" about his age. Told me he was 8 weeks old and I've got to admit that he looked it. Got him home and the breeder called me and says "OMG - put that goat on a bottle he's just a baby." Well, he would never take a bottle and I was worried that he'd always be stunted - but I've gotta say it didn't really hurt him. He went on to win 3 Grand Championships. (Need 4 to qualify for Permanent Grand Champion) So close...
IMG_2447.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:weee:weee:weee:weee

Thank You! I am always hoping you would one day put up some pics!

:love:love:love Love them!

There is something just so unique about the Pygmy breed!

I love that cobby thick body.

and No I will NOT add another breed... but they are tempting! :D

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah thanks @Southern by choice . I was thrilled when I found them!

This is another one of my favorite boys. He was a brown agouti and for a few years that was a bit of a drama inciting color, lol. Some judges wouldn't even look at a brown agouti goat because they didn't think it was a "pygmy" color. But, when you've got a goat that looks this good - they couldn't deny him, lol. He did well in the ring.

IMG_2459.JPG

Here's another - just look at that width in the rear!

IMG_2458.JPG

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here are a few more...

This is a doe I sold and she went on to do good things in the ring also. She showed well and produced well for her new owners.

IMG_2461.JPG

I call this a 'baby' pic of Rebel, even though he was old enough to have a beard, lol!

IMG_2462.JPG

Terrible pic of this doe playing on a sand pile - but she went on to become a Permanent Grand champion.

IMG_2464.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is gorgeous!

I know pygmys can have a good bit of difficulty in kidding, but aside from that....

.... as far as meat animals .... how is their feed conversion? Growth rate? weight at maturity?

Oh my goodness... I just had to scroll up again and see him! :D

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Such a pretty doe... look at that width!

Funny about the agouti color... I went to see a Nigi buck once and he really was a nice buck with really great pedigree but was a roan... breeder couldn't sell him because of the "pygmy" color... he passed to all his offspring.... apparently that is heavily frowned upon in the ND world. :rolleyes:

I didn't get him either... but NOT because of his color but because he was over-height and I already struggle with height issues.

Hmmm now that I think about it he would have been great for F-1 minis... oh well.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I first got into pygmy goats their kidding issues were in full swing - at least in 'show' goats. Reason: they were breeding for short bodied goats that had no room to carry their babies. They would prolapse before kidding, the babies couldn't get into position and would present in the most horrific positions...it was a nightmare!

Most show folks had TWO herds...their 'show' herd and their 'brood' herd. They would keep their longer bodied does for breeding and show their shorter bodied does. It was nothing short of ridiculous. Some of us who were breeding at the time decided to buck the trend. We started showing our longer bodied does - like the doe pictured above and after awhile we started winning with them. It kind of changed the way the judges and the breeders thought about their herd. These longer bodied doe could carry their babies and they could deliver them too. When people stopped doing C-sections, it was the best thing for the breed. We lost a lot of beautiful does - but it was such a positive step forward for the entire breed. Why perpetuate traits that are a detriment? I'm breeding relatively few pygmy's any more, but the ones I have can deliver their kids.

I haven't butchered many - but the ones I did were nice meaty carcasses... and they grow fast on average feed. A good pygmy should make a good carcass without the need to "push" them. They were/are a meat goat. I can't speak specifically on the feed to meat conversion because I've never really paid attention to it. I never really planned to raise them for meat...sometimes it just happens that way. But, they grow well and sometimes a smaller overall carcass is just easier.

I'm going to breed several of my remaining pygmy does this fall. I kinda miss having the little guys around.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was nothing short of ridiculous. Some of us who were breeding at the time decided to buck the trend. We started showing our longer bodied does - like the doe pictured above and after awhile we started winning with them. It kind of changed the way the judges and the breeders thought about their herd.

Smart move! I just don't get why people do what they do sometimes.

My friend has Nigerian Pygmy crosses. First - they are stinking adorable! After several generations her goats are longer body, better udders, produce fairly well, kid fine, gain quick and are definitely meatier.

Her bucklings get wethered and they get small amount of feed, live off the land, with hay access of course and go out the door for a VERY good price! Way more than if she sold them as wethers.

She keeps the does. Any issues in the does she sells as pet/brush control.

She tests for everything and they are super healthy goats. She has no desire to go to purebred anything! LOL