Pyr Problems

Jeep10

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a 9 month old male Great Pyr. He has started attacking my Kunekune and the pig's ear is ripped up. He only does it when I'm not around. Is this a sign that he's going to be a bad LGD? Can I change this behavior?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your LGD is entering into the stupid teenage stage. Separate him from the pigs now. Do not leave him unsupervised. It doesn’t mean that he is going to be a bad dog. These dogs require training, they are brilliant, thinking animals. Chasing the pig is fun, he knows it’s wrong, but it’s fun.

Do you have other animals? Some LGDs do not like pigs. I have 5 and none of them like pigs.

Main thing right now is not allow him to be with the pigs unless supervised.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bay knows! I got nothin', as I have two young dogs that are putting teeth on sheep on occasion, so I'm dealing with trying to train for that. Mine are too far away to give the correction when it's needed, right during the event, so I'm struggling with training them on such things like I would on chickens.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 9 month old male Great Pyr. He has started attacking my Kunekune and the pig's ear is ripped up. He only does it when I'm not around. Is this a sign that he's going to be a bad LGD? Can I change this behavior?
I believe in training with the hand of God method....

So, set up a situation so that the dog thinks it is alone, where the dog will engage in the bad behavior... and correct it without it seeing you.

At least with my dogs... one to three times is all that was needed.

As an example... I had a dog that liked to "play" with the chickens until they died.

So... I set a kid with an airsoft gun in a second story window that over looks the chicken coop.

I took the dog to the front door (out of sight of coop) and let the dog out.

Of course the dog, all unattended, zoomed around to the coop.. he gets close to the chickens and the kid shoots him. (Hurts, but doesn't break skin) The dog had no idea the kid was up there. That is the point.. because he then learns to behave when you aren't there.

Worked like a charm.

Had to do the same when we got goats... those floppy nubian ears...

If you lack sharp shooting skills... I suggest doing the second choice which is an electrical collar. The only issue with using an electric collar is that they learn that they only have to behave when they are wearing the collar.

However, most electric collars come with a dummy one... so you can make sure he always wears one.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe in training with the hand of God method....

So, set up a situation so that the dog thinks it is alone, where the dog will engage in the bad behavior... and correct it without it seeing you.

At least with my dogs... one to three times is all that was needed.

As an example... I had a dog that liked to "play" with the chickens until they died.

So... I set a kid with an airsoft gun in a second story window that over looks the chicken coop.

I took the dog to the front door (out of sight of coop) and let the dog out.

Of course the dog, all unattended, zoomed around to the coop.. he gets close to the chickens and the kid shoots him. (Hurts, but doesn't break skin) The dog had no idea the kid was up there. That is the point.. because he then learns to behave when you aren't there.

Worked like a charm.

Had to do the same when we got goats... those floppy nubian ears...

If you lack sharp shooting skills... I suggest doing the second choice which is an electrical collar. The only issue with using an electric collar is that they learn that they only have to behave when they are wearing the collar.

However, most electric collars come with a dummy one... so you can make sure he always wears one.
You and my son think exactly alike!! :D =D He wants to get me an airsoft gun for corrections from afar, as getting a shock collar to be fully charged, on the dog and me catching the dog in the act seem to be as likely as having all the planets in alignment. I'm none too confident in my marksmanship and I'd be just as likely to shoot the sheep WHILE she was being tortured by little puppy teeth. :D

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You and my son think exactly alike!! :D =D He wants to get me an airsoft gun for corrections from afar, as getting a shock collar to be fully charged, on the dog and me catching the dog in the act seem to be as likely as having all the planets in alignment. I'm none too confident in my marksmanship and I'd be just as likely to shoot the sheep WHILE she was being tortured by little puppy teeth. :D
True, good aim is pretty important. :lol:

As to catching the dog in the act... it is impossible really, unless you set it up for when you are ready.

That is why setting up the bad act, when you are all ready to punish, is so important.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They make them with an electric full auto mode... Accuracy is not important! lol

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
True, good aim is pretty important. :lol:

As to catching the dog in the act... it is impossible really, unless you set it up for when you are ready.

That is why setting up the bad act, when you are all ready to punish, is so important.
The bad act, in our case, is occasionally a dog doesn't want a particular sheep(never the same sheep, mind you) to be walking along and will grab a leg and hold it, while the sheep struggles to get the leg free. When the older dog does it, it doesn't injure the sheep at all, but now the 5 mo. has learned this behavior and her needle teeth puncture skin. I've seen her do it a couple of times to the same sheep but this morning I saw a different sheep with the end of her tail a little bloody. Since this is all happening down in the pasture, 100 + yds away, I can scream at her from the house but unless I have all conditions in the right place there's no other correction happening.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The bad act, in our case, is occasionally a dog doesn't want a particular sheep(never the same sheep, mind you) to be walking along and will grab a leg and hold it, while the sheep struggles to get the leg free. When the older dog does it, it doesn't injure the sheep at all, but now the 5 mo. has learned this behavior and her needle teeth puncture skin. I've seen her do it a couple of times to the same sheep but this morning I saw a different sheep with the end of her tail a little bloody. Since this is all happening down in the pasture, 100 + yds away, I can scream at her from the house but unless I have all conditions in the right place there's no other correction happening.
Oh good grief!

Yep.... not sure how to manage that... occasional mess ups are very difficult to correct.