Pyr Problems

Jeep10

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. I will be trying all these things! After closer observation, aka a security camera, it turns out the dog attacks the pig when the neighbors bring over scraps for them. He may attack more often, but I don't have proof of that yet. I have notified the neighbors to halt slop feeding for a bit until we have this under control. I'm a big fan of the airsoft/sting operation idea.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. I will be trying all these things! After closer observation, aka a security camera, it turns out the dog attacks the pig when the neighbors bring over scraps for them. He may attack more often, but I don't have proof of that yet. I have notified the neighbors to halt slop feeding for a bit until we have this under control. I'm a big fan of the airsoft/sting operation idea.
Now that is interesting...

Is the dog protecting the neighbors from the pigs???

Like the pigs rush forward for the slop, the dog thinks the pig will hurt the neighbors....??

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you found the problem. Food! I have one VERY possessive dog, of his food, his sheep and ME. He can be a special challenge. LOL

You might ask the neighbors to give the scraps to YOU to give out to the pigs and then it will be in a controlled situation. Either that or get their own pigs. LOL

Nana2Four

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our 2 GPs now 1.5 yrs old did the same things when they were around 6-7 months old with our chickens when they were young and would flutter around the pastures. As soon as we would see it I would tie whoever the culprit was around one of our trees on a short lead in the near vacinity of where they were all and let them see life goes on for everyone else except them. I only had to do this twice. They didn't like being isolated while the other got to lay around and have fun. As they really got into the teenage month crap I found an e collar worked like a charm. Only used the tone and vibrate except once they ran and I used the shock and it worked great. I myself love the collars and they work awesome if I am on the property but out of their site. I guess we are lucky because now they love and protect all of our chickens, goats, cats and other dog.