Pyr's in the heat

Mzyla

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Regarding Summer Heat;
one of my dogs (Karakachan) just love to stand in a kiddie pool that I have set for ducks :)
She stand in it for a few minutes cooling her feet and get out all happy!

My Pyr on the other hand dislike water! I tried to sprinkle him or get him into this pool and forget about!
Instead he is finding himself shady places.

As to his hair;
Since I'm brushing them almost every day, they have very lustrous coat. Karakachan doesn't seem to have any signifficant under coat, just long hair.
Pyr; just recently I get rid of all of his winter "down" undercoat and now he looks pretty lean :)

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
beckyburkheart said:
MonsterMalak said:
Run Boz and Kangals now. I can take them to town and walk for hours in 95-102 degree heat. Their heat tollerance is much greater, but they still like wet sand.
what kinds of dogs are these? I'm really interested in getting and LGD but am very concerned about getting a long haired dog (north central texas) not just because of the heat, but also because of the cactus, burs and other stuff in our rough native pastures. we had a long haired dog once before and had a lot of trouble with matting and stuff getting stuck in his hair and making sores. a thick-haird dog (we had a malamute/wolf hybrid) did fine, but not the 'shaggy' haired dog.
Becky,

The Kangals and Anatolians are very similar, and there is a ton of info on the net. They tolerate the heat beautifully. Great dogs, and are short coated enough to not ever need any washing, brushing or care. Self Cleaning, and no burs.

The Boz are even shorter hair, and more heat tolerant. Look them up at www.itgdc.com Link not working,, International Turkish Guardian dog Club

Having a dog that will get out and patrol or investigate in 100 degree plus weather is a good plus. especially in recent years :(

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The Kangal sounds really perfect for me and there is a breeder just about three hours away. i'm going to try to contact them and see about getting lined up for a puppy once I finish our fencing projects (hopefully in the next few months).

thanks for the info!!

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
MonsterMalak said:
The Kangals and Anatolians are very similar, and there is a ton of info on the net. They tolerate the heat beautifully. Great dogs, and are short coated enough to not ever need any washing, brushing or care. Self Cleaning, and no burs.

The Boz are even shorter hair, and more heat tolerant. Look them up at ,, International Turkish Guardian dog Club

Having a dog that will get out and patrol or investigate in 100 degree plus weather is a good plus. especially in recent years :(
I'm finding a lot of somewhat conflicting information. apparently. all the turkish stock dogs are named for the regions were they are popular. I'm finding two farms in texas, one says they have Kangal and Boz dogs and the other says they have kangals but also refers to them as anatolian.... so are they similar but different or different names for the same dogs or ...?

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
another question:

what is the difference or how do you know or what breeds are supposed to do what as far as the difference between a "guardian" that guards and area (livestock, people, stuff) and a "Livestock guardian" that guards *his/her* HERD - potentially even from the handler.

thoughts, comments,,.. ?

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Becky, I dont know a whole bunch about LGD's..but I know MY pyr's guard my sheep..but they know the members of my family..if a strange person (for example a buyer) comes around, I do put them up..because they are not keen on strangers (particularly men)...so in following your question..I would expect any LGD to know the "shepherd"..My bigger Pyr barked at me once..but I did surprise her in the dark and I did not announce myself..I always make sure to announce myself to them so they know it's me now. If my LGD prevented me from interacting with the sheep..well, the dog would be gone..Im not a range operation..I need a dog who protects the flock, but is fine with seeing me at least twice a day at feedings..

MonsterMalak

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Becky,

This is Brian that you have been talking to from Texas.

For the confusion about the breeds of dogs from turkey. Huge element of contributing factors. But basically is a country full of working dogs. Different regions have different types of dogs. The confusion is complicated with pride, fighting, territories,,,,etc.

Anatolians are a mixture of turkish dogs brought to the USA and bred. Kangals are basically from Central Turkey. Boz are the Nomads dogs from South East Turkey. Akbash are white Yoruk from Western. Kars are from North Eastern.
So just depends on how you want to divide them up.

The Turkish dogs are great at being a family and LGD type of dog at the same time.

Hope that helps,,,,,

Remuda1

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
"One thing I HAVE had issue with, the flys love to bit the top of her nose..I dont see it on my pup (probably because shes do darn active)..but the older gal they get her"

Tex, I was at Petsmart today and noticed that K9 Advantix is labeled to prevent flies from "blood feeding". There were others that were labeled for Mosquitos but none other for flies. $62.99 for six (monthly) doses for a 55 lb dog. They didn't have a larger sized dog formula so I don't know if they don't offer it or if they were just out.

It seems that I've also seen fly repellant collars in Jeffers catalog. I'm going to look into that as well.

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
the fly repellent collars were what I was thinking of..poor girl..:(