Pyr's in the heat

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Oops, meant to comment on that too, and forgot.

I had NO luck w/ any of the swat stuff. Did like "War Paint" but dunno if they still make it (looks like a stick of deoderant, stayed on noses well and worked great), used to get it at TSC and they quit carrying it..... Last year I started using Ultra Shield from Tractor Supply. Works better than swat. I didn't spray her face, just put it on my hand or a rag and wiped her furry snout parts / head / ears. She always goes and tries to 'rub' off whatever I put on, and this seems to work regardless.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
Many folks in Texas use Anatolian Shepherds because their coats are much shorter, sort of similar to the coat you'd see on a German Shepherd.
it sounds like the anatolian might be what i need. for some reason, i was thinking they were long(er) haired as well.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They have a very thick coat in the winter but shed out their undercoat in the spring. Most have shorter coat, a few are long coated. When I say short, not like boxer fur but shorter like German Shepherd fur. It's very low maintenance. I'll brush mine soon to help them shed out their undercoat faster, but that's all the grooming they need. Their hair is too short to mat up. You should have no trouble finding an Anatolian in Texas.

redtailgal

Reaction score
My breeder has three Great Pyrs..........she is CONSTANTLY having to groom and clip their mats off. They all have an astronomical amount of hair. They look like these massive dogs, but when you stick your arm through all that hair.......there is a normal sized dog under there! They are amazing with her goats, two of them are very friendly once they get to know you and understand that you arent a threat to the herd, but one is very shy and doesnt really like to be touched. She'll hang out and "talk" to me though, lol.

These dogs have dug out several cooling spots, and will lay in the creek or in the water troughs during hot weather.

She had a few anatolians at one point, but felt they were too aggressive.

I just dont think I could handle all the hair of the Great Pyr, so when we get to the point that I am ready for LGD, I am hoping to get a GP/Anatolian cross.

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Oops, meant to comment on that too, and forgot.

I had NO luck w/ any of the swat stuff. Did like "War Paint" but dunno if they still make it (looks like a stick of deoderant, stayed on noses well and worked great), used to get it at TSC and they quit carrying it..... Last year I started using Ultra Shield from Tractor Supply. Works better than swat. I didn't spray her face, just put it on my hand or a rag and wiped her furry snout parts / head / ears. She always goes and tries to 'rub' off whatever I put on, and this seems to work regardless.
I think Ive seen War Paint at Atwoods..but its been awhile..

Glad to know Angel is not the only pyr who hates "stuff" being put on her..she was genuinely annoyed and put out when I used the SWAT on her nose..drives me nuts seeing the flys getting her though.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
>>She had a few anatolians at one point, but felt they were too aggressive.

What's conventional wisdom on this, and everyone's experience?

I'm assuming you mean "people aggressive" as in "they don't make good house dogs"? how are they with horses and chickens?

I'm in kind of a weird rural subdivision that's still pretty wild but very close to a rapidly growing wanna-be-plex. we have all the problems on both ends of people moving out there and thinking it's "country" and "anything goes" as well as those who seem to have absolutely no clue what it means to live in the country. So the end result is that everyone lets there dogs run loose and breed indiscriminately. .... I came within spitting distance of shotgunning two pit bulls stuck together in my yard last weekend until i realized the mom and kids were watching from across the street and my SO wouldn't let me shoot them in front of the kids. ... it's coming to that.

I'm getting close to having in savings what i budgeted to clean up and fix the fencing on my ~30 acres and a super aggressive dog is sounding really good at this point.

redtailgal

Reaction score
The ana's were great with the goats and horses........but were so protective that they had to be locked up away from the herd if the breeder needed to do something, like help deliver or trim hooves.

These dogs were fine with her at any other point, but when they laid claim on the herd, they CLAIMED it.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I depends on how much you socialize them with strangers. I know plenty of people who have tolies as house dogs and show dogs. I socialize mine a lot and have no trouble with them being aggressive, of course they are not mature yet either so that could change. They are more aggressive then pyrs.

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
The ana's were great with the goats and horses........but were so protective that they had to be locked up away from the herd if the breeder needed to do something, like help deliver or trim hooves.

These dogs were fine with her at any other point, but when they laid claim on the herd, they CLAIMED it.
well. ok. that's good to know. i'd have to figure out how to manage that. my dad has two good goat dogs and they are semi-that way. they have to 'be careful' when they manage the goats. i have some working pens attached to my stalls and barn so it might not be too hard to redo some gates to have the kind of flow we need.

TexasShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
what I was "told" was, on average, the ant's tend to be alittle more standoffish by nature then say, the Pyr's? I was told Pyr's are alittle "Easier" to handle, espc for firstime LGD owners (like me!) and werent as protective.

My pup is 1/4 Ant..she is quite protective (even chases birds out of the sheep pasture)..but still easy to handle. and my full Pyr girl..while the most dopey mellow looking dog, is very watchful..espc with strange people, mostly men..she is very wary of strange men.