Quail and Cold

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does anybody have quail, and if so how do they handle the cold? I got coturnix this past spring and we live in northern wisconsin so it gets cold. So far it's gotten to freezing and they where fine but we reach -20 here sometimes in the winter. I do have a heated shed they can go in if they can't.

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've kept bobwhite outside, but sheltered in Pennsylvania. Not quite as cold. I know someone who keeps cots here the same way. Temps drop to near zero, but rarely less than -10.

My thoughts on heat for animals generally leans toward not providing it. If for some reason the heat fails, the animals will not be able to handle the cold.. I concentrate on dry, draft free and ventilated.

Check the threads on backyard chickens, I'm sure it's been discussed there.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we had quail for awhile, we housed them in our shop which is heated and secure. I would think if you can provide dry, out of the elements that would help. The guy we got ours from had them in his house garage.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
As log as they are dry and out of the wind, they will be fine. Give them hay and shavings. Change it often. They'll be fine.

I don't recommend heating them. If the heat fails they'll die.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had Quail Antwarp Belgiuns for what it is worth and something happenes to them