Quest Gel for Horses?

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am getting my goats soon and want to stock up on some items, in particular worming medicine. I plan to treat naturally but I am open to chemical wormers when needed. The dairy I am getting my goats from uses cydectin on an as-needed basis and said they have great luck. So when I went to purchase it, I didn't realize there are multiple versions of cydectin and none specifically for goats.

The one I ended up getting (based on a couple forum posts) was Quest Oral Gel for horses. I read no matter what kind you get, oral or injectable, always give it orally and the oral version is better than the injectable version.

My question is, did I get the right stuff and what is the dosage for this type? I saw some posts who said they gave the whole tube, others said 1cc per 25lbs. But the dosage on the plunger is by pounds..starting with 250lbs (obviously, it's made for horses).

Any thoughts on this? Did I get the wrong one?

Thanks!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I think possibly either @babsbag or @Southern by choice maybe @Goat Whisperer may be able to help there... Though Babs doesn't have to deal with worms much (dry environment) she's a wiz with this stuff. Hope you're planning on doing fecal egg counts (EPG counts) before doing any worming... Doesn't make sense to just worm for the sake of worming, especially when you don't know for sure there's an issue, and if there is, what the culprit is you'll be trying to kill. Many worms have built tolerances where some wormers don't work against them anymore.

St1ckyBun

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you all! I appreciate the advice. I just want to make sure I have this stuff on hand, rather than having to order it and waiting for it to come in.

Latest posts