Question about afterbirth.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My alpine doe, who I wasn't totally sure was pregnant, kidded a single doeling yesterday afternoon about 3pm. Lilly was as big as a house and bred to my Nigerian buck, so I was quite shocked she only had one kid.

The birth was text book and she's being a great mama. Baby was up and nursing right away.

The afterbirth seems very large and is still hanging this morning. How long is ok to let it hang? I've read up to 24 hours, but all my does have passed theirs within hours of birth.

Oh and Happy Easter Backyardherders!! :love

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If she hasn't dropped it by morning I would give her one of the things listed below:

1) 2ml Lutalyse IM

or

2) 1ml Oxytocin mixed into 10ml long acting Penicillin given SQ

I have used both of these and they seem to work quite well to get does to drop the afterbirth. I've had many people say that Lutalyse won't work to drop afterbirth but my vet put me on to this and it has worked every time. Usually within an hour.
The reason for the oxytocin mixed with long acting Penicillin is the Pen has an oil based carrier so it absorbs slower. Therefore the oxytocin is also absorbed slowly and causes contractions over time to release the afterbirth.
I keep both in stock here. Both are RX drugs.
If she were my doe I would not let her hang onto that afterbirth without treatment beyond tomorrow. If you have Vitamin E and Selenium and Calcium Gluconate (not CMPK) you could give her that tonight.

Good Luck.

Donna

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! It finally came out a little bit ago. I had tied it up this afternoon so it wasn't dragging and I think the weight helped ease it out. It was almost out when I checked her and I applied some very GENTLE weight while the kid nursed and it came right out.

Now I can relax and fully enjoy my first mini alpine doeling!

Thanks again!

Plazyfarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Congrats! I'm glad everything worked out!:)

Latest posts