Question about future breeding

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Would it be ok to bred my alpine buck to a fainting doe? Both are under a year so im talking in the future

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, hopefully ya have them separated now...a buck is viable at 3-4mnths of age. The alpine is a standard breed and most myotonics that I have seen are on the smaller side. I wouldn't think a larger buck over a small doe wouldn't be very wise, but I am no expert on those matters. We have pygmies, so I'm unfamilar with actual size of those two. :)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know how big fainters are but alpines can be quite large. Ok... Google says 50-175 lbs. That is in no way helpful. I suppose it depends on how big she ends up when she matures. How big are they now?

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know how big fainters are but alpines can be quite large. Ok... Google says 50-175 lbs. That is in no way helpful. I suppose it depends on how big she ends up when she matures. How big are they now?
the buck is only 4 or 5 weeks old and doe is 10 months old i wasnt planning on breeding im just asking for future refrences incase i do decide to or theres an accident and yes theyre in different pens my fainting does dam was a descent size this is the first time i have ever own an alpine (and not sure its pure bred) i guess i will have to wait to see how big they get .i just thought maybe i would want milk in the future these little guys are just our pets

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I agree with the above. Wethers make great pets usually. Bucks can be a nightmare if there are does around. That way they can live togetheer as they do need a buddy. And if you want milk, maybe consider getting a Nigerian pair and then the does could live together and the buck and wether could later on. I'm not sure how fainters are with milking but a dairy breed would make it tons easier to get more milk from your goat. You could still breed your fainter to a Nigerian that way as well. Just a suggestion lol.

We got a wether and a doe as pets and decided to get into dairy goats. Our girl was a dairy breed already so it was easier. We would have kept our wether but he was a jerk to the girls about food so he went to a pet home and he's great now. We still have our original girls and going into our first kidding with them. Our boys were both dam raised and sweet as can be which makes things much easier. We planned on only two goats as pets and here we are with six and could potentially double our herd with babies this year and another one with a deposit on it to bring home lol. Goat math is a real thing! :lol:

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with the above. Wethers make great pets usually. Bucks can be a nightmare if there are does around. That way they can live togetheer as they do need a buddy. And if you want milk, maybe consider getting a Nigerian pair and then the does could live together and the buck and wether could later on. I'm not sure how fainters are with milking but a dairy breed would make it tons easier to get more milk from your goat. You could still breed your fainter to a Nigerian that way as well. Just a suggestion lol.

We got a wether and a doe as pets and decided to get into dairy goats. Our girl was a dairy breed already so it was easier. We would have kept our wether but he was a jerk to the girls about food so he went to a pet home and he's great now. We still have our original girls and going into our first kidding with them. Our boys were both dam raised and sweet as can be which makes things much easier. We planned on only two goats as pets and here we are with six and could potentially double our herd with babies this year and another one with a deposit on it to bring home lol. Goat math is a real thing! :lol:
LOL i was only planning on our two does as pets (my MIL has parents to my does) we just loved watching them play then on valentines day this year my hubby brought home these two little alpine (maybe crosses) bucks with bows tied to them :loveand you know that made me love him even more lol he said he couldnt just get one its like potatoe chips ya know :p so now im trying to figure out what to do with them. I have been reading about wethers and im thinking thats maybe the way to go... (hubby said thats mean and it makes me hurt just thinking about it):lol:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, they hardly flinch when they're wethered. If you're not breeding, definitely I would have them wethered. Have you met many intact bucks? They smell during rut, pee on themselves and often those around them... And can be (many aren't but they can be) aggressive when a doe is in heat.

There are a few ways to wether. I brought mine to the vet who bands. He got mad for about 2 seconds while the band was going on and was uncomfortable for the ride home (only because the road is super bumpy!) and it never bothered him again.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I agree. It is easier to do it earlier around the 8 week marker I believe? But yes. Bucks can be dangerous when in rut too. But mostly, if they are Standard Alpine and not mini alpine (crossed to a Nigerian Dwarf) the pairing could be potentially dangerous to your does. To avoid accidents it would be wise to wether them would be my first thought.

The story about your husband is adorable!