Question About Hog Panels

Nyboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi I am visiting from TEG and have question about animal fencing. I have a dog kennel, some gates on inside runs need to be replaced. Nothing is easy they are a odd size. For 2 years I have been looking for replacements with no luck. I am going to have to bite the bullet and have custom gates made. A friend can put together the frames, I need to find a fence to cover them that a large dog can not rip apart. How strong are hog panels ? Gates are heavy chain link now. Thank you

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are fairly heavy duty, but unsure of the gauge....tho, if you use 2x6s or 2x8s ya can improve the stability and use 2x4s as the back bracing and squeeze the wood to the panel, giving a custom fit. Use the smooth side of 2x6-8s on the dog side so there isn't a step to jump over or climb with....it surely will save ya $$, if asthetics isn't a major factor.....:)

Nyboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you Problem board of Health who renews my permit, does not allow wood. I believe it has some thing to do with disinfecting. Any wood must be completed enclosed in sheet metal.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Years ago we used hog panels and a friend that is handy with a welder used old metal bed frames, welded them around the panel to make a very sturdy and non flexible panel. I have reused them a hundred times for different things. You can cut the panel to the size you want and then weld the bed frame to it to size. They are L shaped so give a finished edge on the whole thing. Neatest thing I saw and that solves the problem of no wood used.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you don't happen to have a stash of old bed frames, use angle iron. LOL Hi! :frow

Hog panels and cow panels are great for building projects on the farm. They do have large enough openings in them that a small dog could get through. Can you post pictures?

You could have your friend weld up an angle iron frame, with cross bars for added strength. You could use non climb horse wire in the gate, it has 2"x4" holes. Do NOT use welded wire as it is total crap and comes apart.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/non-climb-horse-fence-48-in-x-100-ft

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Although pricy, you can buy panels with 2X4 openings. ($75-85 ea @TSC) Mine are roughtly 5X16. Could cut & weld. These panels are heavier than the cattle or hog panels. 2nd hand or Habitat stores have a lot of frames, if you need the framework.

Cutting the frames will be hard but a good metal saw will work. The frames you have may be some that can be used and secure the panels onto. :idunno Just thoughts.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Although pricy, you can buy panels with 2X4 openings. ($75-85 ea @TSC) Mine are roughtly 5X16. Could cut & weld. These panels are heavier than the cattle or hog panels. 2nd hand or Habitat stores have a lot of frames, if you need the framework.

Cutting the frames will be hard but a good metal saw will work. The frames you have may be some that can be used and secure the panels onto. :idunno Just thoughts.
Yeah, I forgot about horse panels! And I have some! They are super heavy duty and no dog is going to chew its way out of one of those! That is just what you need!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I second the 2x4 panels, a dog will climb and chew the bigger openings. I have gates made with 4x4 openings and the dogs go right over them. But maybe you have a top and it isn't a problem.

Nyboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do have tops great ideas guys thank you. Bay the no clime horse fence strong ? Think 90 pound dog panic in thunder storm amazing what their jaws can do.I do have family member with welder. I am not really worried about cost I believe it takes money to make money, more import that it lasts against a lot of abuse