Question about kits need help from the pros

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok ive got a momma rabbit and her 10 kits they are 16 days old my question is can i move momma and her babies to a new bigger cage the cage theyre in has a built in box which is only thing i had at the time when she had her kits and its old and kinda falling apart it needs to be redone i cant clean box out the way it should be and the older and bigger they get the less room they have 11 rabbits in one cage and the momma is pretty big her self the kits or moving around box like crazy and im afraid if they get out of box they wont be able to get back in by theirselves and its supposed to be below freezing and snowing this weekend will she still take care of them if i move them to new cage? My neighbor has gotten out of rabbits and he gave me his 10 foot long rabbit hutch its new and would have plenty of room for them all any help would be appreciated thanks

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In my experience kits should be out of the box by 14 days anyway. They have a little hop in them by this age too and should be able to hop a short lop to nesting box. I think they would do fine with the move and would probably be healthier for it. We tractor our rabbits and routinely move them, especially when they are out of the box. They build up a lot of bacteria in those small spaces. Hope this helps :thumbsup

Chickens

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks this is my first time raising rabbits and im nervous about them. Really just making sure she would still feed them
In my experience kits should be out of the box by 14 days anyway. They have a little hop in them by this age too and should be able to hop a short lop to nesting box. I think they would do fine with the move and would probably be healthier for it. We tractor our rabbits and routinely move them, especially when they are out of the box. They build up a lot of bacteria in those small spaces. Hope this helps :thumbsup

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had the same worry the first time I moved mine. Now I move kits between mothers depending on what kind of care it needs. They really are ideal mothers for letting us breathe a bit. My goats keep me on my toes but my rabbits help me to relax :woot

Kirsten miller

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I agree they should be fine!! And to be honest with more space the mom may be less stressed