Question about nipping baby teeth---UPDATE---I am so proud of myself!

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My PBP is going to be having her first litter soon, and I'm finding myself kind of feeling sqeamish about nipping the baby pigs' teeth. Does it need to be done right after they are born and does it hurt them much? I'm not usually a squeamish person (have worked for a vet before) but I don't like doing something that causes pain. I know it has to be done for the comfort of momma.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Think of it as the same as trimming nails. Use a pair of side cutters and clip. The biggest problem they have with it is being held while you do it.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
be sure mom is in a strong pen when you get the piglets. mine went berserk when her babies squealed when we picked them up. she came after us, and my aussie had to get between us. she was free range and in the barn in the hay stack. her opening got blocked and we went outside to clip the teeth. the sooner you do it the eaisier it is on the piglets.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I feel better now. Yes, I will definately have mom securely penned before attempting this. The babies aren't here yet, so I have some time to get everything ready.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Do the snips need to be sterilized first? I need to snip the teeth this evening (babies were born yesterday) so a quick reply is very appreciated.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
No, but it wouldn't hurt anything if you cleaned them first.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, my hubby has me totally freaked out about cutting the piglets' teeth! Do I cut them off right at the gum? Is there going to be a lot of blood? My hubby has me convinced the teeth might shatter and cause the piglets to not be able to eat and they will die, or that they could bleed to death. I've never done this before, and WAS thinking it was no big deal. I trim my goats' hooves and dogs' nails and give shots and have assisted both dogs and cats with delivering babies----shouldn't this be just as easy? Does anyone have any advice to offer-----I would really like to get this done tomorrow.

By the way----I did get the jewelers snips, thank you SuburbanFarmChic!

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, just got done about 20 min. ago with clipping my piglets teeth!:weee I was shaking and sweating like you wouldn't believe :rolleyes:, but it ended up not being that bad. There wasn't any blood from the teeth, and I followed up each piglets tooth cutting with a shot of iron. There was a tiny bit of blood from the injection, nothing unusual. I am so glad it's done, and will feel like a pro with the next litter (Angel is due to have her babies soon).

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice----I couldn't have done it w/o you!! :) :bow :)