Question about pedigree & conformation

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We are trying to decide on when or if to breed two of our doelings.
We have chocolate who is a ND she was born 5/4/16.
Willow Mini Nubian born 5/8/16.

I have searched on BYH and googled, but the information on when to breed it seems is very controversial.

Willow will not be bred until we have her G6S results back, if that comes back negative then we will consider it. Then we will be sending off her blood test for Cae, Cl & johnes next month. We will be sending chocolates blood off next month as well.

Everything I have read some people wait for a certain age or age and weight. Then look at width? However I have no clue how wide they should look?

Can you all give me some insight on this topic?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
For sheep I wouldn't breed anything under 8 months. I would think goats are around the same, but I will let someone with more experience confirm or deny my claim. Another thing to look at is size, do you have any adult does to compare them too? If it was me I would wait a year to breed.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do have an adult ND I can look at. I was told I could breed both in december. Just not sure if we should breed in december.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I weighed both today, Chocolate is 39.3 lbs, Willow is 59.8 lb

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I just found out that Chocolate was bred by the same people as honey. I have been in contact with the breeder to get Honeys paper work. However chocolate has not been tattood or papers sent in yet. Not really sure what's going on with it. I just wrote the breeder today, hopefully we will find out soon.
We have a buck lined up for chocolate, however he came from the same breeder as honey & chocolate. Want to make sure they're not related.
Also i'm new to ADGA and have no clue on what is considered great lineage for goats. Would anyone be willing to look at Honeys lineage and give me some insight? Would greatly appreciate it.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are too young to breed right now
They are only 5 months old
A ND should weigh at least 40 lbs
We usually wait a year
I have had an accidental breeding at 7 months old
We have purposely bred 1 at 7 months old but she weighed 50 lbs

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
oh no, i would never breed them right now. I meant in december, like I was told I could.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
honey.png

Here is honeys pedigree. Chocolate is also bred from the same breeder. She is trying to find out who last had the papers. Also found out that the buck that we had lined up for december breeding was also bred by the same breeder. Once I can get chocolates pedigree i'll be checking to see if they are related at all. Any opinions on Honeys pedigree?

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
oh no, i would never breed them right now. I meant in december, like I was told I could.

I've bred most of our Nigerians around 12 months and that has worked very well for us. I'll be breeding one at 10 months this month- but she was a big single doeling and weighs about what her Dam weighed full grown (at least before her Dam was heavy bred like she is now.) She was probably big enough at 8 months. I've also have 8 month olds that were still very much "babies" that I wouldn't have bred.

We breed our Lamanchas around 18 months, though I've had one I would have bred at 12 months if the timing would have been right.

Also, think about your climate and when you want babies. We aim for November-March, with an occasional April from a doe that didn't settle as planned. December is my favorite. Here in Florida our weather is cooling off, but not the coldest and the babies have all winter to gain well when parasites aren't as bad as they are in summer. If I lived up north I probably wouldn't like kidding in the middle of winter unless I had a really nice, big, warm barn! We also know that we can take vacation in August-October with no babies, less does in milk, and no one kidding. Makes it easier to find house sitters. Most of our shows are in Feb/March.

So, there is a lot to think about with kidding besides your does just being old enough. I've known some first time goat owners who didn't think at all about the fact they leave for two weeks every June and their doe kidded two weeks before that. Oops! They ended up paying me to dam/baby sit because they didn't think their normal house sitter would notice it something wasn't right.

As far as Pedigree Rosasharn is a very will known her in the ND world. They've been around a long time and many breeders use their lines. I'm not overly familiar with pedigrees in general. If you are looking for milk I'd try to find animals with a pedigree that shows milk stars and such. LA scores and show wins are nice, but much more subjective IMO. @OneFineAcre may be able to help you more with the pedigree.