Question about pedigree & conformation

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The only thing I find for milk production is for the rosasharn does. Couldn't find anything other than Aura HC Toffee placed Grand Champion in the 2012 mid state fair. Other than that i'm not finding anything.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd also suggest thinking about if it's worth it to register the minis too. (MDGA) We had two mini-manchas this year and I didn't register them. Dam and Sire's are ADGA registered. However, they can't be shown in any shows/fairs around here and aren't really worth any more than an unregistered clean doe from good lines. We bred two Lamanchas with a Nigerian because they didn't get bred to the Lamancha we borrowed but we wanted them to kid last year. The doeling sold to a repeat customer who wants home milkers for $200 and she was really nice!

I'd say the exception is if you are really looking to breed up to F3/4 minis and making a name for yourself in the niche market if minis. They are cute!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am raising mini Alpines to try out in the dairy, but also hoping that they are easier to sell than the Standard sized Alpines. I am registering them just because I can. Here is my buckling (one of two ) that I kept from this year to breed my minis too. I also bred an Alpine doeling yesterday...that wasn't on the agenda, but oh well.

upload_2016-10-11_19-45-35.jpeg

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
At this point we are not registering the minis, the breeder we bought our buck from did. We did not purchase his papers. We have talked about it. We do plan to breed up. I sent the pictures I posted on here, to the breeder. She gave me his highs and lows of conformation and what she would suggest to improve the breed. I am beyond appreciative for her to give this insight.

She has a couple does who are bred right now, that she feels the offspring should bring what we're needing to add to his conformation to improve the breed.
Right now we're really trying to decide what breed/s we really like the most. My husband is absolutely smitten with the Mini Nubian. He loves his mini Alpine buck, but so far he favors willow over all of them.

I love the ND. I also have a soft spot for boers.

@babsbag your buck is gorgeous.

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @lalabugs I think he turned out pretty nice. His sire is from another BYH member @ragdollcatlady and I am thrilled with all of the minis he sired. I am a little hesitant to breed too many of them until I know how well they will milk but I am definitely interested in a smaller goat to feed and to manage. I was perfectly happy to raise standard Alpines and LaManchas...I can blame this new venture on @Goat Whisperer :D I have another Nigi buckling, also from ragdollcatlady, waiting to grow up and he will help me with some genetic diversity if I breed more minis.

I haven't bred any mini LaManchas, the vote is still out on that; I like to keep my ears segregated. :lol:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's fun to find out what breeds you like best! So far I like my Nigies but I really adore my mini alpines. I think they're going to be the future on my homestead. Will know for sure when I breed and milk them. Full size goats are too much for me, and my Nigies are a bit... Prima Donna like.

I would imagine minis would sell better than full size goats. The person I got my minis from had an easier time selling Nigies and 75% Nigies than minis. Like me, she didn't want to keep a buck bigger than a Nigie.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's fun to find out what breeds you like best! So far I like my Nigies but I really adore my mini alpines. I think they're going to be the future on my homestead. Will know for sure when I breed and milk them. Full size goats are too much for me, and my Nigies are a bit... Prima Donna like.

I would imagine minis would sell better than full size goats. The person I got my minis from had an easier time selling Nigies and 75% Nigies than minis. Like me, she didn't want to keep a buck bigger than a Nigie.

I think in many cases you are correct. We sell a lot of animals to 4-H/FFA show homes here, though, and for most shows including out state fair they have to be ADGA registered- so the "minis" don't work for a big portion of our customers.

OTOH, I've sold unregistered Nigerian doelings and mini doelings for $200 and never have enough- so there is a great market there too- and I've never been stuck with a bunch of boys since they are great pets and cute. We keep a CAE negative herd, so that also attracts buyers that have done a lot of research. A lot of the unregistered mini goats of any type come from untested herds.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had nigies and we have mini manchas and we tried mini alpines....so far they have all retained the nigie attitude which i dont like. Nigies are so cute and adorable and all but all the ones i have ever meet are like cats. They will come and hang out if you have food or might have food or if you wanna scratch them but if you need them specifically for something no way they will run like wild goats until you wanna scream. So like a cat wants attention when they want it and if they dont...forget you ya evil monster. I'm sure not all are like that but as i said the ones ive met were. Thats why we tried breeding mini alpine to see if they would have the super sweet alpine personality and while they were better they still werent sweet like my alpine girls.

For all of our mini's and nigies we did breed at 8 months - 10 months old. As far as the hot weather i wouldnt worry to much we have had ours kid with weather in the 90s and no issues. Course i also notice most goats kid in the evening, night or early morning. You have to decide what works for you though. We also have kids in febuary with temps to -45 so lol...maybe we live on the edge.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too have had kids born in the heat...over 100° will no ill affects, but I don't have the humidity out here. I see the biggest problem with newborn kids that are born during the time of year when the temperature has dramatic swings, like 90+ during the day and 50° at night.

My mini Alpines that are bottle babies are in my face all of the time, I see no difference between them and the standard sized kids, we'll see as they get older.

I keep a clean CAE/CL/Johnes herd and soon it will be TB and Brucellosis tested and clean too. I also keep all my goats registered. It doesn't cost me to keep the paperwork straight and the buyers pay for the actual registration so no problem. I started with registered stock so I have just kept it that way; I figure it is one more selling point. I don't show or do LA or milk test and that would probably help move the kids out of here but no time or desire for showing.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a huge problem with kids born in the heat because of our ridiculous humidity. For months this summer our temps were in the high 90's and with our humidity we had many, many days (weeks and months) of heat indexes over in the 110 - 120 range. :th It is a recipe for disaster with newborns. I try to kid in March (spring break). In fact, I need to get busy and arrange some conjugal visits. ;)